View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Monty Alfords "Yu-Can' candle stove?  (Read 666 times)

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Monty Alfords "Yu-Can' candle stove?
« on: September 04, 2018, 01:09:21 AM »
A topical subject for me as I got caught by bad visibility last month and decided to detour to a small shelter hut with no stove. I was load hauling and strangely for me I had no little gas stove in my day pack. Plenty of fire-lighting gear but no fireplace or even wood as well above the tree line.
While I did manage to melt snow in between the clothing layers this would have been foolish if I was cold and/or wet at the time. A warm drink and rehydration would have had me much better prepared in the AM when the sun came up. Plastic water bottle so even with a candle I couldn't melt snow
So any thoughts on the use of tea light candles to melt snow and prepare a warm drink?
I stopped carrying my old army water-bottle and cup as a weight saving measure and the little Yu-Can set-up might be another way to go that could live in my bumbag permanently. I have a small TomShoo titanium cup that could be utilised as part of this. It holds about 650/700ml and it came with a small folding spoon and a lid that is probably lighter than a small soup can and less bulky that the army cup and heater stand.
I used to use the army cup with Hexamine tablets but the fumes really are bad for you so I stopped using hexie. My "Real" survival kit has a small LPG stove, 100g canister of fuel and a decent titanium MSR kettle filled with drink makings but I've not replaced the old army stuff and that was a mistake.
The benefit I see in Montys set-up is the windshield formed by the outer can plus the ability to hang it from an ice axe or ski pole

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Monty Alfords "Yu-Can' candle stove?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 09:35:32 AM »
How about a link to information about this stove? Thanks.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »
I would have thought an alcohol stove with a sealed lid would be a better bet. Either a Trangia or better, a Zelph Starlyte.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-xl2-burner.php

Fill with alcohol and keep it in a 600ml or 750ml cup. A hardware cloth pot stand could fit around inside too and a foil windshield around the outside.

Gonna take a while to get snow melted and up to a boil though!
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 05:58:45 PM »
Sorry I thought it was common

https://www.google.com/search?q=Yu-Can+stove&client=firefox-b&sa=X&nfpr=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=2ahUKEwivz93gqKLdAhVZZt4KHZMMAW8QsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1366&bih=603#imgrc=xEPDXtUBU7GArM:

I do have cat stoves/super cat stoves but I thought that a candle stove could be a viable option in a survival kit. A candle can't spill fuel or leak or evaporate away and there is only so much room in a bum bag

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:15:35 PM »
That is why I suggested a stove with a cap. The xl version of the Starlyte holds 3oz of fuel

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 11:28:45 PM »
It's a viable option although I'm not sure actually storing fuel in the burner would work for me, it might be in there slowly evaporating away and not be there if I needed it. The bit that I thought was clever with the Yu-Can stove was the bail on the outer can so it could be hung from the side of a snow trench and away from the cold wet snow. Snow here is always wet and cold.
I can store 4 tealights in my cat stove and I could burn one at a time after using up the small bottle of spirit. About an hour to melt snow into 400ml of  warm water using two small candles, a kick start using 10ml of spirit may be a good idea, my small bottle holds 30ml.
Naturally I would be better off not leaving my larger day-pack stove kit behind but I always have the bumbag with me, as a belly-pack when sled hauling

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »
I would be concerned that the rate at which a tea light is able to deliver its BTUs to the pot would be not a lot greater than than the rate at which the pot is losing heat to the environment.

Hanging is useful though or you could stand it on something.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 07:39:21 PM »
Losing heat to the open might be a concern if used in the open air but I think it is only meant to be used inside a trench /snowcave or quinzee and with no wind it should be OK in that regard. If it does lose heat it is losing it in two directions tho; half into the snow and half into the shelter so maybe  it could be useful to warm cold hands?
An experiment here trying to melt ice cubes with  a tealight inside the cat stove can wasn't any success, condensation drips kept putting out the candle; next experiment I'll use a teaspoon or two of spirit with the same quantity of ice cubes and see what happens

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 09:54:20 PM »
The small bottle of metho plus a cat food tin weigh about the same as 4 tea lights and take up as much space so I'll do as you suggest BV and add in a 50ml bottle of spirits. That said I just did a repack of my usual survival kit too and changed the TOAKS titanium pot with handles for a LW aluminium billy can with a wire bail, two reasons for that. I may be somewhere that enables me to build and light a sustainable fire and the taller and narrower pot packs in better, same volumes just a slightly better package for 40 grams extra weight

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »
Naturally enough I can't stop tinkering with ideas So I think that for my Canadian trip I'd try and integrate Hoops emergency fire kit into the same ditty bag in both my day-pack and my bumbag

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 02:07:07 AM »
These are slow, very slow. I had a day with nothing to do, too wet to go out and too cold to play. I had another go at melting ice cubes.
Took a long long time to make warm water from ice and condensation from the titanium cup kept threatening to snuff the candles. The alcohol in a tuna can suggested by Bothwell Voyageur was much faster but it burned reasonably well and a small bottle could get things on the move.
I prefer my current set-up but as it uses canister gas it might be problematic if the temperature was low.

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 12:56:03 AM »
A small ESBIT stove is the answer. (Plus 6 or 8 ESBIT tablets)

Using my Trail Designs Sidewinder titanium roll-up cone stove and 3 cup pot I can boil 2 cups of water in 8 minutes with one ESBIT tablet. This stove is very light and fits inside the 3 cup pot. The stove is made to EXACTLY fit the pot which is essential for proper functioning. Go to Trail Designs website.

BUT for melting snow ya gotta start with about 1/2 cup water and add the snow slowly as the water heats. For this use 2 ESBIT tabs at the same time side-by-side, on edge, in a Brian Green modified tray which preserves the liquid residue for longer burn time.

The BEAUTY of this stove is its optional Inferno wood burner insert. It is a smaller cone inverted inside the outer cone and sits on a 1/4" mesh screening for the necessary lower air intake. This Inferno gassifier stove is HOTT! It's B/C heated air also flows between the two cones and comes back thru slots near the top of the inverted cone. This"extra" air supports more combustion of the unburned gasses from the initial combustion.
GOT IT? THERE WILL BE A QUIZ TOMORROW.

I use the titanium sheet Sidewinder with the Inferno wood burner insert for winter camping snow melting as well as cooking. It needs only finger sized sticks. (Larger sticks won't fit inside anyway.) titanium sheet is necessary for the high heat the Inferno insert generates. Aluminum sheet that is used in the original alcohol & ESBIT Caldera Cone stoves would actually begin to melt.

Eric B.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:10:07 AM by 300winmag »

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 11:21:18 PM »
No offense but no way am I going to use Esbit/Trioxane in an enclosed space like an igloo/quinzie or snow trench, even at my advanced age I value what little health I have left. The low emissions of a burning candle is one of the main reasons for thinking about this, otherwise I'm better off using a canister gas stove