View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Wool pants question  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Wool pants question
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:01:40 am »
Big Bill 100% wool or 75% wool, opinions on which ones to purchase. 
And I've read about sizing up, opinions on that also please.  Thanks

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Wool pants question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:20:29 am »
I'd go with the 100% wool. Regarding sizing up: I'll only wear a pair of long underwear under mine but there is nothing worse than out growing your wool pants so it seems prudent to size up. I'd also make sure you get them with the extra pair of side pockets as they are handy to have.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 10:27:37 am »
If you go with 100% wool, they will probably shrink, even if you wash them in cold water. If you dry clean them, you can probably go with your normal size. If you pack on a few pounds, you may want to go bigger so that you can "grow" into them.:).
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 11:00:33 am »
Big Bill 100% wool or 75% wool, opinions on which ones to purchase. 
And I've read about sizing up, opinions on that also please.  Thanks

Your fervent admirer's have requested me to make one important point on this wool pants transition.   Please keep the same bold color choice as you presently use.   It's the right thing to do!

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 01:07:08 pm »
Thanks guys

Bio- the 100% I think is 4 pockets.  I really like the cargo 6 pockets. Will keep looking

Rbinhood- if Southcove continues to share his brownies with me I will keep growing and growing and ...

Southcove - I do like that fire engine red will do my best to find them!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 06:09:26 am »
Blends wear better and dry faster and are usually cheaper; if the brownies are that good buy 3 sizes up and wear suspenders/braces.

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 10:33:19 am »
I have several pair of Bill Bills, starting at size 32 inch waist from 8 years ago before I met my current wife, a French Canadian who thinks any man that doesn't eat two plates at supper is starving.

I've got them in two inch increments all the way up to 42, which seems pretty tight right now, where as my 42 dress pants seem way to loose.

I have both the blend and the 100 percent wool.  I really prefer the blend.  I find it warmer, especially if there is wind.  Even at 35 below, I just wear a pair of fleece long johns under them.  Plus that plaid design on the 100 percenters makes me feel like an overweight leprechaun with a drinking problem.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 06:20:15 pm »
Blends wear better and dry faster and are usually cheaper; if the brownies are that good buy 3 sizes up and wear suspenders/braces.

I am thinking you might have had some of those brownies too during your USA visit...?!

Last weekend, our first burning the stove this season, saw some 'mass consumption' of fresh made brownies by two non forum members...

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 07:03:37 pm »

I am thinking you might have had some of those brownies too during your USA visit...?!

Nope
Because you were scoffing the Cherry Ripes and Tim Tams. Next visit I expect brownies

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 06:04:52 am »
I have several pair of Bill Bills, starting at size 32 inch waist from 8 years ago before I met my current wife, a French Canadian who thinks any man that doesn't eat two plates at supper is starving.

I've got them in two inch increments all the way up to 42, which seems pretty tight right now, where as my 42 dress pants seem way to loose.

I have both the blend and the 100 percent wool.  I really prefer the blend.  I find it warmer, especially if there is wind.  Even at 35 below, I just wear a pair of fleece long johns under them.  Plus that plaid design on the 100 percenters makes me feel like an overweight leprechaun with a drinking problem.

Mem, thanks for starting my day with a smile.
moondog55, I guess it was a bad time to start weight watchers when I'm getting ready to start hanging with Southcove soon.  But i need to drop a few lbs to help out my knees.   I'm ready to make some matza ball soup trades for low calorie brownies, if there is such a thing.

And I do like those green cargo pants, thanks.

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 10:27:17 am »
Me, I remember all that and even MORE!

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 08:59:04 pm »
I just ordered the Merino wool blend 6 pocket cargo a size up just in case southcove shows up with brownies! Plus Bioguides pancakes!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 09:51:42 pm »
What size, just in case I need to replace my own due to Brownie poisoning whoops indulgence

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 10:51:57 am »
Given the recent changes in the law in Canada poisoning may be the correct word. Although edibles are not yet legal up here I'm sure that quite a few batches of "special" brownies are already being baked.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 01:52:51 pm »
Given the recent changes in the law in Canada poisoning may be the correct word. Although edibles are not yet legal up here I'm sure that quite a few batches of "special" brownies are already being baked.

Santa Claus is going to have a VERY good Christamas in Canada I think