View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: The new generation of winter air mattresses  (Read 1440 times)

Offline jwclever

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: The new generation of winter air mattresses
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 11:55:52 PM »
I have both a Exped downmat 9 LW and a Thermarest XTherm (large and rectangular). The former is dedicated to winter camping while the latter, due to weight, offers the flexibility to bridge the worlds of wintertrekking and backpacking. When I am lucky enough for one of my daughters to accompany me on a snow camping adventure, she gets the Exped and I get the XTherm. I really like both. I’ve slept on the XTherm down to 11F and slept just fine. I have not had any issues with either and inflate the Exped with the schnozzle bag and the XTherm with the mini-air-pump. I do have the mat cover for the Exped mat in an effort to offer it some protection. I baby both quite a bit as I don’t want buy a replacement for either any time soon.

The below web link from SectionHiker.com also provides a helpful list of sleeping pad options and their respective R-values (sortable by R-Value, weight, thickness or type):

https://sectionhiker.com/sleeping-pad-r-values/

In the event the above hyperlink didn't work:  https://sectionhiker.com/sleeping-pad-r-values/

Cheers,
Bill

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »

I have the inflator but I prefer a pump bag, quieter and one less electronic doodad. For the Exped get the Schnozzel bag.
[/quote]
The bag looks virtually weightless which is a huge plus, I'll have to give it a try this year.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 10:48:03 AM »

I have the inflator but I prefer a pump bag, quieter and one less electronic doodad. For the Exped get the Schnozzel bag.
The bag looks virtually weightless which is a huge plus, I'll have to give it a try this year.
[/quote]

One plus for the Schnozzel bag!

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 08:24:47 PM »
I have the Exped Downmat 9. So far, no problems. The Exped has provided me with the best night's sleep in the bush, bar none, regardless of temperature. I have tried Ridge Rests, open cell foam, inflatable pads, air mattresses, etc. Nothing compares to my Exped.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Mercer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2018, 10:14:38 PM »
I have an Exped Downmat 9 Deluxe.  It served me well for several years, then developed a slow leak that I could not locate to patch.  It is now a lost cause - some of the tube-separating baffles have detached, and it forms more of a cylinder than a mattress when inflated.  I have a friend who is on his seventh one.  One was purchased, the rest were warranty replacements.

I also own an Exped Synmat UL 7 LW which is less luxurious, but is also much lighter and packs down much smaller than my Downmat - important when backpacking rather than sled hauling.  It has also developed a slow leak, but I have located it and will be patching it tonight.

The Schnozzle inflator bag is a great thing.  It weighs practically nothing, takes up practically no space, and about 3 or 4 bags full of air will completely fill the mattress in about a minute or so.  I have also used it as a pillow by stuffing it with some extra clothing.

Every air mattress that I have ever owned has developed a leak at some point.  When winter camping I always bring at least one closed-cell foam pad as an additional layer of insulation, and as insurance against an air mattress that develops a leak on the trip.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2018, 11:05:37 PM »
Question for those who have suffered the exped's down mat issues: How do you store them?

Mine is stored under a couch partially inflated with both vents open.  Store a themarest the same way.  Sadly the Neoair doesn't get the same treatment - no more suitable couch's.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »
I store my Exped stuffed into a dry bag. I have often wondered about how this might affect the down filling over time. I like Gear Freaks idea of partial inflation to take the compression off the down and will probably resort to that in the future.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 01:32:17 PM »
I have some pieces of dowel fixed to the wall in the basement. My air mats are hung over those with the valves open. Self inflators and CCF pads are under a bed.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline awdriven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
I'm another happy xtherm user, though I don't have as much experience in really cold conditions as most of you. We even use them in the summer. I notice my newer one has a nicer texture/finish to the fabric than the first ones I purchased. No leaks and no repairs needed yet, even with 20 nights of usage across four pads with two of them being used by kids.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 10:40:42 PM »
The Exped Schnozzle bag also fits all the Sea to Summit mats although so far the S2S mats do not seem to be suffering by being inflated by mouth I'll bring the inflator bag with me for deep cold to be safe

Offline troutfisher!

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 06:19:57 AM »
I have some pieces of dowel ....

This got me thinking and I came up with a nice dowel (closet rod) hanger for my Expeds.  Thanks for the idea!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »
Was reading a tweet from backpacker or outside (can't recall) and it was about best winter gear and noted that the exped downmat comes with 6 separate air channels now incase one gets a leak.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 10:15:33 PM »
Was reading a tweet from backpacker or outside (can't recall) and it was about best winter gear and noted that the exped downmat comes with 6 separate air channels now incase one gets a leak.

The problem is when the separation delaminate and you end up with 2 or more chambers that are now one and it makes it impossible to use!

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »
The separate tubes on the TT should mean that can't happen. Though whether you can still sleep if say the middle one, goes flat who knows!

http://www.exped.com/canada/en/product-category/mats/downmat-tt-9-m-0#prettyPhoto

Sounds like you can take each air tube out for repair or even replace.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 09:21:20 PM »
OK, seems like the Exped Downmats are the most popular. Dunno if I'll ever get one. Depends on my combo mattress experience.

I have a Ridgerest I can put under my 3 season REI FLASH Insulated mattress if necessary. I'm hoping for a good -20 night in my nearby Spring Mountains but I'll have to go to 9,000+ feet to get those temps, which is OK with me. (Jimmy Buffet's old song "Changes in latitude, changes in attitude" for me are "changes in altitude, changes in attitude")

I'll just put climbing skins on my Atomic TM 22 Tele skis B/C I really dislike snowshoeing, even in my MSR Lightning Ascent 'shoes.
I want to test my modified Tarptent Scarp 2 as well as my LL Bean -20 F. down bag.

Eric B.

P.S. After inflating my new REI FLASH Insulated air mattress several times with the compatible Sea to Summit pump bag/dry bag I have to say that it is THE way to inflate mattresses. Fast and no moist, bacteria-filled air going into the mattress to compromise warmth and create a "mold factory".
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:15:07 PM by 300winmag »