View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: light hot tent set up wanted  (Read 1323 times)

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
light hot tent set up wanted
« on: November 02, 2018, 03:28:45 pm »
My 8.5 x 11 Snowtrekker  with a 4 Dog Ti stove is a little overkill for my wife and I.  Anyone have a smaller, lighter set up they want to sell/trade for? Think I'm set on light canvas vs plastic set up.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: light hot tent set up wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 10:26:28 am »
I have something you might be interested in. I will pm you to an old link on the site.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 11:13:04 am »
Check your messages.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Online brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 06:34:57 pm »
My 8.5 x 11 Snowtrekker  with a 4 Dog Ti stove is a little overkill for my wife and I.  Anyone have a smaller, lighter set up they want to sell/trade for? Think I'm set on light canvas vs plastic set up.

Snowtrekker also makes the Minimalist size canvas tent.  The issue is finding lightweight canvas.  Snowtrekker and Atuk seem to have the market cornered for that type of canvas material.   As for stoves, you aren't going to find much lighter than the 4 Dog Titanium stove if you are looking for a rigid box type stove.  You could go with one of the back packing folding titanium woodstove, but you have to be prepared to assemble the thing every time you use it.

Good luck.

Brian

Offline Lovellj

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 09:43:09 pm »
Hello! Are you thinking of selling your setup?

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 08:35:16 pm »
Not until I find an alternative.   Not likely at this point, at least this year.

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 11:29:17 am »
Just a quick comment on the stove.  I have both a Kni-Co stove and a collapsible titanium stove and use the one most appropriate to the shelter I'm in.  That being said, I always read comments to the effect about the collapsible one having to be broken down and set up each time you want to use it.  My question is why?  While the broken down stove is easier to transport, which is one of its pluses, it doesn't have to be collapsed for travel.  You'll need to be more careful with it, in my opinion, than one of the rigid stoves but you can still keep it "set-up" if you'd like.  There's nothing that demands you break it apart for travel. 

Just my thoughts.  Take them for what they're worth.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:40:49 am »
Just a quick comment on the stove.  I have both a Kni-Co stove and a collapsible titanium stove and use the one most appropriate to the shelter I'm in.  That being said, I always read comments to the effect about the collapsible one having to be broken down and set up each time you want to use it.  My question is why?  While the broken down stove is easier to transport, which is one of its pluses, it doesn't have to be collapsed for travel.  You'll need to be more careful with it, in my opinion, than one of the rigid stoves but you can still keep it "set-up" if you'd like.  There's nothing that demands you break it apart for travel. 

Just my thoughts.  Take them for what they're worth.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I completely agree. I also have a collapsible titanium stove and I no longer take apart mostly because it can be difficult to put back together after years of use. I pack it in a bag that is cinched on top of my sled to prevent any damage to it. It saves time and frustration and I wish I would have been doing this from day 1.

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 02:01:29 pm »
My stove is sized so that the stovepipe fits inside for travel.

Works perfectly. All the dirty stuff in one bundle.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 06:26:32 pm »
My stove is sized so that the stovepipe fits inside for travel.

Works perfectly. All the dirty stuff in one bundle.

I think you'll find that the same can be said of the stove currently in use by the OP. He just wants something smaller and lighter, the limitation is the length of fixed pipe. We have a Kni-o Trekker (18" by 10" by 10") for our 8 by 10 Snowtrekker and it is plenty warm enough but it is not a light stove. Tent isn't very light either but it is OK for two, your not going to get much lighter in cotton unless you make one. Switching to a tent that uses poles cut from the bush or is strung between trees like a hammock tent would be one way to go if you can find some light cotton.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline dks

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 07:40:44 am »
I know you stated that you wanted a canvas hot tent, but, if you are interested I am willing to part with my 4 man Kifaru tipi with a medium stove. It is in “poor” shape, but, functional. Located in the GTA and asking for $450 for both stove and tipi.