View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Best way to fold a snowtrekker?  (Read 603 times)

Offline Nmakinen4212

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Best way to fold a snowtrekker?
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:30:07 am »
I have a 9x11.5 snowtrekker shortwall and looking for recommendations on how to fold it to store on my sled. Everytime I fold it I think I do it a different way. Just wondering what the best way is so its the most compact.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Best way to fold a snowtrekker?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 12:40:57 pm »
Depends on where you are planning to load it. Basic principles apply when starting to fold; you have to get it laid out flat then fold the ends in to achieve a square but after that it varies. If I'm packing it into one of bags look at the bag and see how many folds are needed. Once packed I'll strap the bag on top of the tank or if using a low Rubbermaid it can go on top of that. You could also stuff it straight into the bag though I'm not a fan of that with heavy fabrics.

If I'm carrying inside the tank I may choose to fold it into a long narrow strip, almost a long sausage that goes on top of the other gear. This of course risks covering the gear with snow etc so may have some drawbacks.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline K.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 01:26:37 pm »
I've tried a few different ways and never come close to how neatly it was packed for shipping.

Offline Snowbound

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 02:36:43 pm »
Here is how I find it works best with two people.  Lay it out flat on it’s side (ridge will be on one edge, sodcloth in the other).  Have one person pin the front ridge corner to the ground while a second person tugs and flattens both sod cloths together and to the ground.  With the first person still holding the ridge corner down the second perskn find the center of the front wall sodcloth and pulls it away from the main tent Turing the front wall in to a flat triangle.  With the first person Still holding down the ridge corner the second person flops/folds the whole front wall into the main tent.  Repeat steps for the back half of the tent with the first person pinning down the back ridge corner.  Now you have a large flat rectangle.  Fold it into the width you need and then roll (or fold) it, ridge to sod cloth.  Just before you get to the sodcloth, fold the sodcloth toward the roll creating a nice crisp wedge and finish rolling.  Kind of hard to explain, hope this makes sense.