View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: small weather radios  (Read 524 times)

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
small weather radios
« on: November 29, 2018, 01:30:51 pm »
Hey All - I know this topic has been discussed before but there have been a lot of changes and (in my mind) supposed updates in the electronics field that I thought it best to ask the forum for your collective thoughts.

What I'm looking for is a small (say around a pound in weight) weather radio that also has AM/FM bands.  I'd like something that can be operated using AA or AAA batteries so I don't have to worry about it not functioning due to lack of power when in the field.  I don't need lots of bells and whistles (i.e. cell phone recharging, solar panels, etc.) either.  I just want something I can tune into and listen to weather updates and/or music via a speaker that doesn't sound like it's out of the Edison era. 

One last thing...my kids are always asking what I want for Christmas or my birthday.  Well one of those is right around the corner so this is probably what I'll send to them as my request.  While they're both doing well in their respective professions, I'm not looking for something that will break their bank either so if you can keep that in mind while making a recommendation, I'd appreciate it.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: small weather radios
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 02:13:18 pm »
Last summer I picked up a C Crane CC WX pocket weather radio.  Gets weather band with alert function, plus AM and FM.  Runs on 2 AA.  3.8 ounces, I think without batteries.   I have only used on one canoe trip so far, but it sure did the job on night one by setting off the alert at 2:30am to let me know of straight line winds coming in.  Sound was ok, but I only listen to weather.  You can probably get better sound using decent ear buds, and that should use less battery power too.  Get lithiums for winter.  Sometimes I did have to fuss with the flexible antenna a bit to get decent reception - not sure if thats from the radio or the area I was in.

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:46:54 pm »
https://www.canadianpreparedness.com/product-categories/comms-radios/

Various price points etc... don't think one can ever expect 'good' sound quality in such but
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline Papa Tac

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 03:15:09 am »
Eton makes topqulity Weather radios https://etoncorp.com/collections/all

Offline APPaul

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 08:27:27 am »
I have had a Sangean DT-400W for about 6 years now and love it. It is very similar to the radio Jawax pointed out (C Crane CC WX).

We use it a lot. It is fun to pick up the local "cottage" radio station (MooseFM for all you Algonquin and Ontario campers) or CBC's Vinyl Tap on a Saturday night while lounging around a hot tent.

The weather radio function is also really great, especially on trips that get into the 5-10 or more days where the weather forecast you last read is no longer good.

Whatever you get, definitely get one with digital tuning. Some of those dial tune emergency ones are the worst, you have to keep tuning it from night to day, and as the temperature changes. 

http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=83&cid=12

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 02:12:32 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  I did some research and sent my findings on to my two daughters.  I'm going to let them decide  ;)

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time...

be well.

snapper

Offline K.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 09:29:25 pm »
I have had a Sangean DT-400W for about 6 years now and love it. It is very similar to the radio Jawax pointed out (C Crane CC WX).

We use it a lot. It is fun to pick up the local "cottage" radio station (MooseFM for all you Algonquin and Ontario campers) or CBC's Vinyl Tap on a Saturday night while lounging around a hot tent.

The weather radio function is also really great, especially on trips that get into the 5-10 or more days where the weather forecast you last read is no longer good.

Whatever you get, definitely get one with digital tuning. Some of those dial tune emergency ones are the worst, you have to keep tuning it from night to day, and as the temperature changes. 

http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=83&cid=12

Hehe, I have an old grundig that isn't small and has wavy analog tuning that I have to keep adjusting and I broke the antenna trying to fix the reception all the time. In spite of all that, it was a bit of a revelation when I finally figured out  just how well radio matches up with the slower pace of a winter camping trip. And yes, vinyl tap is a favourite, followed by holger peterson, sunday morning with michael enright, I would never listen to that stuff at home, never take a radio in the summer, but it's perfect at the winter campsite.