View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Council Tool Wood Crafter's axe - 19" handle for car & canoe  (Read 351 times)

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Council Tool Wood Crafter's axe - 19" handle for car & canoe
« on: November 29, 2018, 11:52:26 PM »
I just ordered a Council Tool Wood Crafter's axe W/ 19" handle. Very nice design. Comparable quality to Swedish axes.

BTW, I found a site (Beaver Tooth Handle Company) that has 24" single bit axe handles in case I really need to get a longer handle for chopping. I'll buy one (only $5.00 + shipping!), linseed oil treat the handle and store it.

The 19" handle is just right for car & canoe camping. The Wood Crafter's head and 19" handle are good for limbing and medium diameter splitting.
If I want to fell a tree I'll use a collapsable buck saw B/C it's fast. My axe can do the undercut for felling direction.

I got it from the Piragis Northwoods catalog. Yeah Amazon had it for $20. less but I wanted to help a small Minnesota family owned and operated company. Also I'm an experienced wilderness canoeist and ACA Moving Water instructor so helping Piragis, a canoeing outfitter, appealed to me.

Eric B.

BTW, I do own an Estwing axe with a 24" handle. It's OK for felling and chopping but its blade is just to narrow for splitting. The Wood Crafter's axe will do it all, though felling with that 19" handle would have to be a once-in-a-while thing.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:31:18 PM by 300winmag »

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Council Tool Wood Crafter's axe - 19" handle for car & canoe
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »
Piragis Northwoods is one really cool store!

I could have impulsed really bad - but all I bought was the 98% deet stuff they don't sell in Canada (and a T-shirt!).
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 07:32:02 PM »
Piragis Northwoods is one really cool store!
Ditto that.  I've rented canoes from them several times before I bought my own, and always like to wander their store in Ely.  Its a top flight outfit. 

Offline K.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 07:53:25 PM »
Well I recently ordered some footwear from those guys that remarkably didn't seem to be available anywhere else on the internet. It was an above average internet transaction for me since a lot of small businesses don't take Canadian orders via their website. Then the item arrived promptly in slightly overly careful packaging that was just enough to twig my attention. I still thought little of it all, but these testimonials have triggered a sudden realisation that they may in fact be just one of those exceptional small businesses that are few and far between.

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 06:55:34 PM »
Got the axe and love it. Came with a nice "bra" type leather sheath and I used Biwell boot wax on it and sprayed some Nikwax inside it. But I'll store it with the included rubber blade protector so chemicals from the leather don't attack the steel blade.

Good quality steel, seems as good as Swedish axes.

Also Piragus Northwoods was able to locate the exact leather sheath I needed for my Rusell belt knife.
But it was a Grohman sheath. Has Grohman taken over the Russell design and production??

Eric B.

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 08:31:22 PM »
Got the axe and love it. Came with a nice "bra" type leather sheath and I used Biwell boot wax on it and sprayed some Nikwax inside it. But I'll store it with the included rubber blade protector so chemicals from the leather don't attack the steel blade.

Good quality steel, seems as good as Swedish axes.

Also Piragus Northwoods was able to locate the exact leather sheath I needed for my Rusell belt knife.
But it was a Grohman sheath. Has Grohman taken over the Russell design and production??

Eric B.

I don't think so. AG passed recently but..... https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/oct/20/rogers-knife-maker-a-g-russell-dies-201/