View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: DIY Beaver Mitts  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
Re: DIY Beaver Mitts
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 08:02:13 AM »
Sweet!
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Offline Kaifus

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »
Nice job on the mitts! You should keep going with this until your entire outer shell is homemade, looks like your part way there already.

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »
I finally finished the harness.  Traditional ones are made of braided yarn, but I didn't have any so used regular, cheap parachord done in a triple braid. Total cost about $4.00 US.   I made two strands about 4 feet long connected by two overhand knots that sit behind my neck and make length adjustments easy.  The chest cross bar piece has loops on each end that form a larks head (aka cow hitch) around the single strands, allowing it to slide up and down as needed.  The ends of the single strands have loops to which I first had two small carabiners, but I disliked the way they clinked and caught each other, so replaced them with some velcro closures. The velcro is also much lighter than brass snaps which was another option.  The velcro is permanently attached to the harness loops, with a  long and short strand coming down.  The long end goes through the loops on my mitts, then comes back to attach to itself.  The shorter strand then closed down on the outside of the long strand, providing a double velcro closure.  I got the idea from the ankle strap on my surf board leash which has the same double closure, and despite hundreds of wipe outs in the oceans or Lake Superior have never once come loose.  Now I can just flip my mittens behind my back instead of setting them down or trying to hold on to them.  If the paracord proves inadequate for winter snowy use I'll post comments to that affect later.

Offline aktundra

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • Explore Build Do !
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 02:29:37 PM »
Beautiful mittens and good tutorial Jawax!

I missed this, because I always look just in the homemade gear section.