View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Ringing in 2019 in AP  (Read 510 times)

Offline walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Ringing in 2019 in AP
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »
Happy New Year Wintertrekkers!!
This trip was delayed a couple of days due to the forecast, but we still managed to enjoy 4 glorious days trekking through and ringing in 2019 in Algonquin’s interior.
The rain and warm temps on Dec 28th  followed by a huge drop in temps overnight, made for super enjoyable/fast skiing on the lakes. We covered 14KM in just over 3hrs, which with all the pic taking and snack breaks, almost felt like cheating ::) ;D
The weird weather patterns made for some very interesting ice formations and the cold (-16 and sunny on Dec 29th) just felt so good on the body and soul.

At daybreak, the welcoming pack came out across the bay from our camp and made sure we knew who was in charge :).  Diesel (our GSD) howls with coyotes at home, but the wolf has such a drawn out howl, it was pretty awesome to hear him trying to mimic it.  The wolves weren’t interested in having a conversation with him and took off.  After assuring the wife of our safety and arming her with two pocket knives :o ;D, we spent the day romping around, collecting wood and just enjoying the surroundings. 

With a fresh couple of inches of snow overnight, we decided to pack the day pack, snowshoes and ski over to Trout Mountain, the site of one of the first wooden fire towers in the park. What better way to spend the last day of 2018, than bushwhacking through AP, while visiting some familiar summer campsites  :)

Only fitting to ring in 2019 sipping on a couple of Mad Tom IPA’s while camped out on Tom Thomson Lake during a snowstorm 8) ;D

We received about 10 inches of fresh powder overnight, and woke up to something we haven’t seen in a while...clear, blue skies 8)

We took our time breaking camp, and made a slooooow trekk back to the car (almost 7hrs  ;D), enjoying every single kick and glide in this majestic setting.

Cheers to 2019 everyone!! May it bring everything you wish and plan for 8)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 01:02:02 PM by walknabout »

Offline snapper

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Ringing in 2019 in AP
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 01:21:42 PM »
Wow!  Beautiful photos.  Thanks for taking us along; especially those of us who live in the lower 48.  Here in my part of NYS we still have no snow and the temperatures continue to hover in the mid to upper 30s.  Even my friends in the Adirondacks don't have much and what little there is, is mostly ice.  Can't wait for winter to arrive here like you've already experienced.

That's all for now.  Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 01:29:17 PM »
Hello walknabout:  Lovely pictures.  Nice sunset at the end.  It is amazing that your wife enjoys winter camping.  What are the blue patches on the tent?  Thanks for sharing.

Take care,
Cousin  Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
We got very lucky with the weather for sure.
Pete, the blue patches is just tarp repair tape to cover up some of the bigger spark holes. I'm sure it comes in green, but that's what I had on hand and I needed to go camping ;)  :) :)

My wife just sent me this link that popped up on her fb feed after me posting about Algonquin wolves :o

https://www.gofundme.com/algonquin-wolf?fbclid=IwAR2Qoqp95Um35BghCGZH7EOvnao31w7Xz0jNsG7fwBHCqoX8ZRkHvuwtiqg

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 04:05:29 PM »
Cool pics!!!  Thanks!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 07:09:49 PM »
Great to see trip reports flowing in for those of us who have yet to get out.  Awesome pics as well and thanks for Hannah's link about the wolves.  It would have been cool to mix citizen science with your trip.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 07:27:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing, love all the pics.  Do you mind if I ask a question about the wolves and your dog?  When they hear your dog howl do they want to investigate what it is?   Just a city boy wondering.  Thanks.

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:37:00 PM »
Awesome pics and trip report!  That's some good distance you guys covered...  Where did you go in if you don't mind me asking?

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
Great trip report! How was the ice thickness?
M

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 10:04:45 PM »
Some of the nicest outdoor pictures I've seen for quite some time. Awesome!
I'm a bit jealous of your trekking company.

Offline walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 10:24:07 AM »
thanks for the kind words Gents.
GearFreak, would be awesome to get involved, I had no idea the wolf population is down to about 250, so sad.  It just made our encounter that more special.
Coldfeet, they had no interest in interacting with us ;D, when they realized we were across the lake, they walked back into the Bush and we didn't see them for the rest of the trip.
hotelfive, we used the mizzy trail parking lot, and went up the road to the first dam, then jumped on the ice.
Marko, ice is solid for the most part, with some soft spots and slush here and there. I chopped through at least 10" before I hit water on TTL.
mewolf, thanks!

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 11:29:22 AM »
Very cool photos and report.  Sounds like an ideal way to ring in the new year.  Fascinating about the wolves.  GSD's often have strong prey drives, so glad he didn't see them and take off in pursuit.  I often take care of my sister's GSD, and had to pull him away from bear he put up a tree this summer. 

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
Nice pictures, thanks for report

Offline snow-walker67

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 12:36:12 PM »
fantastic
thanks for sharing

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

Don't feel bad about an inbred wolf population that is not really as unique as some people say. 250 wolves, IF an accurate count, is a heck of a lot of wolves. Considering how they breed, the numbers can increase dramatically if the prey base is there to support it.