View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: ski base ice damage  (Read 173 times)

Online walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
ski base ice damage
« on: January 06, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
Looks like the Rosi bases sustained some damage on our tour last weekend  :o  My Fischer bases look ok, but they had more wax on them to begin with.
Any ideas on a fix?

time for a shave? :o

Online kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Re: ski base ice damage
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 01:21:10 PM »
Maybe just shave off the fuzz and forget about it. My experience leads me to believe that minor scratches don't matter much, and may actually make the ski hold wax better.

Kinguq.

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 02:02:39 PM »
Sure you didn't hit  rock?   I suppose a base grind and hot wax would  fix you up.  Perhaps at the end of the season. 

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »
I'm guessing it was the bare ice with the pebble texture.

I'd gently remove the fuzz, and apply very hard wax.

M

Online walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 07:33:08 PM »
yup it was def the bare ice. Years of skiing and I've never seen this much fuzz, a few strands from odd rock or two, but never this much and so fine:o
Took some 220 sandpaper to it, coat of wax and went out for a couple of hours in the local woods earlier. All is good, wife says they feel fine...happy wife, happy life ;D
Thanks for the suggestions Gents

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 10:19:33 PM »
Usually we don't use sand paper.... But it's done so don't worry about it, but next time do this or at least that's what we use to do with racing XC skis when new and never used before, utility knife blade supported by a wooden block so the blade doesn't bow, and you very gently "scrape" the base of the ski from tip to tail. do a few passes! Then you wax with a really soft(warm) wax and when the wax is still warmish, you scrap it off using your plexiglass scraper. then you apply the wax you need based on the temperature you are expecting to have. Remember that if you use a really hard(cold) wax, don't wait for the wax to be totally cold before scraping, do it when the wax is slightly warm or still a bit soft, that way you don't raise "hairs" while scraping and also the wax doesn't fly away in a chatter of little pieces that always end up in you eyes....

Online walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 03:38:21 PM »
awesome, thanks for the pro tip good sir!