View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: BAFFLED down parkas?  (Read 187 times)

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
BAFFLED down parkas?
« on: January 09, 2019, 11:57:13 PM »
I just returned an LL Bean down parka that was advertised as baffled but was actually sewn-thru. Very nice in every other way except that.

Then I ordered an Eddie Bauer PEAK XV down parka WITH baffles for $90. more ($299.on a sale) and well worth it.

Do most of you folks have baffled down parkas for severe weather?

Eric B.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:04:54 PM by 300winmag »

Offline arcticmag

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: BAFFLED down parkas?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:54:10 AM »
The parka I wear for arctic surveys is from the early 1980's. It is sewn through and I sewed a new outer cover for it about 20 years ago but it doesn't lose any down. I've sewn a few cotton anoraks to wear over it, the latest using ETA Proof material I ordered from Switzerland. The ETA is a pretty effective wind proofing. Under the parka I wear wool one piece underwear, a wool army surplus sweater and a cotton hoodie. A 30 year old coyote hat and a large black fox ruff (currently) on the anorak keep my head warm.

I'm regularly working out on the tundra in -40 temperatures and strong winds and this system keeps me nice and warm. The down parka is only one of the many parts of my system and I don't think the sewing pattern makes much difference.

Daryl
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:16:02 AM »
I think a lot of folk on here carry something superwarm for emergencies or occasionally rest stops. I will sometimes wear mine when I crawl out of the sleeping bag in the few minutes before the tent warms up after I have fired up the stove.

I'm not sure that Velcro will be secure enough for the ruff. Snaps or a zipper would be better. I have been thinking that you could actually attach a snap through a patch of Tenacious Tape and stick that to the fabric of the hood. I'm sure it would adhere strongly enough to the smooth nylon that it would hold your ruff. I just added some Thermarest snaps to my mat to hold an overquilt and they feel very secure.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
BV,

Thanks for the info on the snaps. I'll use some "industrial strength" Velcro. Fabric shops carry it. I'll test it before sewing to on my parka hood.

The Tenacious Tape with snaps is a good backup plan. Or at least 3 strategically placed snaps on the Velcro. (Belt & suspenders, ya know.)

Eric B.

UPDATE: The Eddie Bauer PEAK XV parka arrived today and it is very nice. FULLY baffled in torso, arms and hood.

PROS:
->Hem drawstrings can be accessed from inside the hand warmer pockets, but must be relaxed from the outside hem.
->Hood face drawstrings can be accessed from inside the hood (loose string stays inside & will not whip your face in windy conditions)
->Back of hood drawstring is horizontal to pull cinched hood away from eyes for better peripheral vision
->Shell is light Cordura brand material. Very tough
-> Down is Dri-Down DWR treated

CONS:
->upper arms need more down fill (easily remedied
->interior zipper baffle needs sen filled (Again, easily remedied)
->front zipper is only one-way (I'll live with that)

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: A very good parks for $299. that has a few fixable problems.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:32:53 PM by 300winmag »