View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: The Ptarmigan with a CCS cover  (Read 1528 times)

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: The Ptarmigan with a CCS cover
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 08:45:58 pm »
The original was 25 years old when I turned it into the plug. No glass showing.
You can add what ever you want; I don't see the need for plastics attached.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 12:58:26 am »
Has the gel coat been tested to see how well it holds up when dragged over sharp, hard ice crystals? What about adding HDPE strips to improve abrasion resistance?

I think the same on both points!!
The price seem to be really fare!

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 12:43:43 pm »
Is this made in the US, or Canada? If the US, where is it being made? I ask these questions in an effort to get an idea of potential shipping costs. While it is lightweight, the length is what concerns me. I can see the standard shippers possibly charging a premium because of its size.

I am glad to hear the original has held up well. I have one of the surplus WWII fiberglass scow sleds and it is wearing well, but fully decked out it weighs about 35 lbs, which is on the heavy side. Not a problem on the flat, but it adds a lot of weight if you have to go up hill at all.

Two Ptarmigans come in at 24 lbs, and give 10' of storage vs. 7' of storage for the scow sled at 35 lbs. I guess it is a question of cost vs. additional weight savings. Also, my scow sled is already paid for:)
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 03:46:01 pm »
12 lbs/ 5.5 kilos is heavy but comparable to other FG sleds out there

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 06:49:46 pm »
Is this made in the US, or Canada? If the US, where is it being made? I ask these questions in an effort to get an idea of potential shipping costs. While it is lightweight, the length is what concerns me. I can see the standard shippers possibly charging a premium because of its size.

I am glad to hear the original has held up well. I have one of the surplus WWII fiberglass scow sleds and it is wearing well, but fully decked out it weighs about 35 lbs, which is on the heavy side. Not a problem on the flat, but it adds a lot of weight if you have to go up hill at all.

Two Ptarmigans come in at 24 lbs, and give 10' of storage vs. 7' of storage for the scow sled at 35 lbs. I guess it is a question of cost vs. additional weight savings. Also, my scow sled is already paid for:)
These are built in Stillwater, Mn. If I remember correctly you live in Michigan.( I bought a stove from you last year) can't remember the the town, but did a calculation based on Lansing and said 40lbs billable. came to 63.52. The mold isn't going anywhere. They'll be available next year too, if you change your mind.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 07:40:19 pm »
I'm in Wisconsin. I get to MN from time to time and might be able to pick one up directly and save shipping.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 08:02:05 pm »
Works for me. Give me some lead time so I can make you a fresh one.  ;)