View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Shovels  (Read 851 times)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Shovels
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:42:44 am »
Just stumbled across these guys

https://dmoscollective.com/

Wide bades and long handles,

Very expensive but really looks to be a great way of making a large snow shovel pack down to a reasonably compact size.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Shovels
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:11 am »
I tried the link it brings me to a somewhat blank page.... Then I tried going to the website by doing a search and still same page....
I've been looking for a good large collapsible shovel for a long time, but all the avalanche shovels I find too small. Voilé use to make a really nice one but no more!!

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:28:29 pm »
Hmm.

Does this work?

https://dmoscollective.com/collections/Shovels

I first found them on the Campsaver website.

It looks like there are dealers in Alaska if that helps.

Offline K.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:33 pm »
It does look like a good match for budding backcountry boarders who are looking to take down mark mcmorris at the big air event in 2022, but I might quibble with some of the use cases illustrated on the website. I have an aluminum snow shovel for home use, and incidental contact with mere gaps and lips in the sidewalk have bunged the leading edge all to heck.  This website does not give the gauge of the aluminum, other than to say it is 'twice as thick' as an avalanche shovel, but one of the other use cases is car/truck shovel, which in my case is steel and I wouldn't have it otherwise. If I was building jumps in the backcountry though, I would buy one of these without hesitation.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:52:50 pm by K. »

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 11:07:58 pm »
Hmm.

Does this work?

https://dmoscollective.com/collections/Shovels

I first found them on the Campsaver website.

It looks like there are dealers in Alaska if that helps.

Still blank, but I found there page on Facebook and sent them a message... No reply yet... I think they would be great, much better than avalanche shovels...

As for a truck and steel, I do cary a round shovel in the summer mouths, but in the winter I rather have a lighter bigger shovel to move snow in  hurry... Steel shovels are too small ad heavy for that application!!

Offline Pathfinder

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:21:30 am »

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 07:46:33 am »
These look the same as the ones Costco have been selling. They are fine for adding a bit of snow to the sides of your tent but if you want something for building a quinzee or digging out your vehicle the small blade and short handle are not so great.

The shovels I posted a link to would solve a problem I have, not enough room in my compact SUV for a big snow shovel. I’d love one large enough to clear a roadside parking spot but unless I start strapping stuff to the roof it just isn’t going to happen with the kind found at the hardware store.

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 12:30:17 pm »
BV link works for me. they got very nice video /commercial how indestructible those shovels are. looks very nice
I got myself voile tele pro and so far it works good for my needs (I bought it under influence of this site)

Online rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 08:12:53 pm »
Fleet Farm here in N. WI has a breakdown aluminum emergency shovel on sale for $15.99 in the ad I just got. They do have an online website, too.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 09:04:19 pm »
It's working for me too now....

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 08:41:08 am »
Neat looking, but my Black Diamond shovel collapses and is narrow enough that I can fit it into my stove to scoop out ashes when breaking camp.  These things look like they have a bigger scoop which would be helpful if digging out after an avalanche, but they also weigh almost 4 times as much as my Black Diamond. 

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 08:52:03 am »
Neat looking, but my Black Diamond shovel collapses and is narrow enough that I can fit it into my stove to scoop out ashes when breaking camp.  These things look like they have a bigger scoop which would be helpful if digging out after an avalanche, but they also weigh almost 4 times as much as my Black Diamond.

I absolutely agree with this. Same with the Voile shovel. I don't see why you'd want/need a bigger shovel for travelling in backcountry (front country may be a different discussion).

M

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 02:53:31 pm »
see my earlier post re. carrying in a vehicle.

I would also think that if you are travelling by snow machine having a more substantial shovel could be useful in case of getting your machine stuck.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 11:47:50 am »
I'm with BV, there is lots of reason you would want a bigger shovel. The main reason for me is longer handle/shaft and moving more snow faster. I mean yes weight and bulk is always an issue... I really wish Voilé would still make there bigger pro-shovel they use to make, kind of an in-between of the popular avalanche shovel and these shovels here!!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 04:35:50 pm »
While I have never seen it done I see no reason why you couldn't make a take down handle for a grain shovel.