View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: New reflective tent  (Read 304 times)

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
New reflective tent
« on: January 11, 2019, 01:01:51 PM »

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: New reflective tent
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 04:12:58 PM »
Not very stealth for urban use but I can see some good points
Too small for my needs tho

Offline Getoffthepaved36

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:00:27 PM »
Well it's far from a traditional set up, but I think could be a design that could work.  Size is small as to be similar to my light weight summer 3 man,  not enough to use as a hot tent but for one.  Not sure how it would handle snow load, then again being of material it is might just slide right off most of the time.  In the summer set up with the reflective on the out side don't expect to hide from over head.... sure it's blinding on a sunny day.  Have to wait and see if they come up with a larger model and if price will stay respectable, then I'll let others try before I still take a chance.

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:26:02 AM »
I was wondering if the reflective insulation would permit a much smaller stove than you might think, or modifying it by installing a clear front gable end  and building a Swedish long fire out front with a reflector in the style of Lars (    )  can't recall his last name.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »
I have an engineering background and have studied thermodynamics and heat transfer. I doubt reflective insulation would have any significant measurable effect on tent warmth to the point it would allow you to reduce the size of the stove used.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 12:59:07 PM »
70x60" floor space means taller people will be touching the walls which will likely be very well condensated/frosted in cooler/cold temps.
For the weight a cotton canvas tent would still be a better choice IMO.
Not seeing any advantage this design would offer...I just see more problems occuring
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 04:24:10 PM »
I have used a reflective "Space Blanket" as a roof liner in a small wall tent, the biggest advantage is how bright a single light source can make it by  using one but I felt it made things a bit warmer. But without an effective air space RFL doesn't do much I agree.
No details on how thick the insulating inner layer is either but the weight isn't great so it has to be very thin and thin isn't effective, being windproof and waterproof tho it will provide protection from the weather which I thought was the aim of the developer.
At the size stated it would make a really good kids play house and that is a ready and profitable market although highly competitive.