View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Best Place for Stovepipe Jack?  (Read 311 times)

Offline Kalvik

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Best Place for Stovepipe Jack?
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:10:10 PM »
I just got a good deal on an almost-new 8 x 10 x 4 canvas wall tent. Wondering the best place to sew in a stovepipe jack. I know Dave Hadfield prefers the front left rather than the roof. I respect Dave's knowledge. Other opinions?

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Best Place for Stovepipe Jack?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:07:00 PM »
Yup, front is best. Particularly good if you are using a ridge pole as you are able to wire the pipe to the pole. I have seen them on both left and right side of the door.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 10:45:37 PM »
If inside the tent facing the door, mine is on the right side, but I'm not sure it would make a difference either side. Close to the door, if something goes wrong, you can always push or kick the stove out the door.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 07:19:33 AM »
I had mine placed so the stove is away from the door. Someone falling on the stove can result in a 911 situation. The door is the high traffic area (the only real traffic area!). Between grandkids and dogs, I was not taking any chances.

Yep, the door area is colder. Yep, wood must be carried another 8 feet. Yep, the mess isn't right at the door.

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 10:18:11 AM »
I've made several tents and found that generally speaking, the location depends on a few factors- if the tent is somewhat narrow or the roof is steep, it's better to go through the roof because it may be difficult to run it through the door without getting too close to the side wall (scorching or fire) or the other door (clearance to enter the tent) plus water can leak around the pipe.
 With a true prospector style with a less steep roof and wider doors, it's better to go through the door (I prefer the left) because it means no hole cut in the tarp, more weather proof, easier to support (I have a cable that clips on the ridge and roof corner) and easier to angle away from the tent (you can anchor it higher) BUT, if going through the door ideally that side of the door should be staked to keep it from folding in and touching the stove when the other side is opened.

Offline Kalvik

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »
Thanks for your input everyone.