View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Areas to Backcountry Camp in Killarney  (Read 257 times)

Offline duster71

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Areas to Backcountry Camp in Killarney
« on: January 18, 2019, 12:00:02 pm »
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on potential areas to camp in Killarney backcountry.

I am planning to go there on the Family Day weekend and assuming the ice is good for travel.  I have previously camped around the end of George Lake, but was looking to maybe push a little further to be closer to the trail to the crack and some other lakes do explore.

Has anyone camped around the end of Freeland Lake, there seems to be a bit of flat area there but from google earth looks like all deciduous tress, so maybe it is a bit too open, or perhaps any of the "peninsulas" in Killarney Lake near the Freeland Lake portage?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, we will be hot tenting and keeping camp in one spot, so we would prefer lake travel if that's possible for hauling sleds easier.

Thanks!!

Offline Canoehead1978

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Areas to Backcountry Camp in Killarney
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 12:55:29 pm »
I've camped the last two family day long weekends on or around Kakakise Lake by way of Carlyle Lake. Navigating the portage from Carlyle to Kakakise with a loaded toboggan is tricky but not terribly difficult (I did it solo the first year). Although if you are going solo bring some rope as the first 20 feet of the portage at Kakakise lake is steep (I learned this lesson the hard way).

The friends of Killarney Park facebook page profile photo is in fact a photo I took of kakakise lake from my very first winter camping trip in 2017.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:33:59 pm by Canoehead1978 »