View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Splosh!  (Read 604 times)

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Splosh!
« on: January 21, 2019, 11:47:38 am »
Out for explore with Undersky this Sunday on the pretense of locating a lost portage trail. -30 something and bright sunshine when we parked the car at Big Whiteshell lake. We followed the snowmobile tracks left by the local trapper, taking the advantage of firm snow to travel bare booted. No sign of the portage trail so we continued north up into the swamp. When the trapper's tracks turned around we donned snowshoes and continued carefully between the willows.
Then a gentle "thud" and before I could react I was up to my thighs in water. A few choice words and Undersky grabbed the grabbed the tails of my snowshoes and I rolled out. My shoes iced up pretty instantly and had to be bashed clean. I felt damp but not cold but we felt it best to turn around. We explored a few of the the open ridges along the shore on the way back and stopped to build a small fire and I messed with my Esbit stove. Stove worked fine but took a bit of work to get the Esbit cubes lit. Feeling full from soup, sandwiches and cake we trekked back into a headwind.

Back at the car I found the knots on the mukluk lacing were completely frozen, took a while to get them undone and begin to dry my socks. Glad I wasn't going to be cold camping that night!

A grand day out nevertheless.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Splosh!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 02:22:13 pm »
Makes me kinda glad I didn't head out on the machine like I had planned.  Whiteshell snoman trails are closed as I understand they need 18" of ice for the groomer and it is not present everywhere. 

Good to hear you made it out - I watched football all day. 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:10:05 pm »
Wow, do you think it was thin ice, or did you break through layers of slush?

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 03:52:41 pm »
thin ice under the snow. Swamps are always marginal but I thought I would be ok on snowshoes. If we had been among cattails/ grasses I could have cut through the vegetation but with all the willows I foolishly took the most open path and paid the price!
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:50:18 am »
broken through n the swamps a few times myself. Now I always carry dry socks and two plastic bags to put my feet in. Of course a change of clothes at the car on day trips.

RR
Time waits for no one!