View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Crown Land Sites in the Sudbury area  (Read 280 times)

Offline Canoehead1978

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Crown Land Sites in the Sudbury area
« on: January 22, 2019, 01:46:54 pm »
Looking for suggestions on crown land camp sites in the area. I know that many people would be reluctant to give away any prime spots but any feedback would be appreciated.

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Crown Land Sites in the Sudbury area
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 02:44:00 pm »
Greetings

I don't have any personal experience with crown land camping in the Sudbury area.  I do have a couple of suggestions.

1)  Contact the Lure of the North people (Dave and Kie Marrone) they live and run their business in the Sudbury area.

2)  Watch this video from PineMartyn (sometimes member here).  He shows his process for finding possible crown land areas in Ontario using various online map resources.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snbMdL0ZK1M

Hope this gets you started.

Cheers

Brian

Offline gnatwest

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 03:19:57 pm »
For quick reference look at Jeffs Killarney Map.  The entire North West section is crown land.

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 04:53:36 pm »
There is practically nothing but crown land outside the city limits. The real issue is finding a place to park safely. One option is to take the "Budd Car" train, pick a spot and have them drop you off. That way you can park at the station in Sudbury. You can flag it down to be picked up. However don't expect it to be on time.

Kinguq.

Offline Canoehead1978

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 12:42:20 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I should have been more specific. I recognize that there is plenty of crown land available to me but my biggest challenge is access. Unlike most people here in Sudbury I don't own a truck which can make many back roads difficult if not impossible to attempt (especially this time of year). Also most of my trips are weekend and or three day weekends so trip distance and time need to be considered as well.

I guess I was just looking for pointers and or general info on some relatively easy to access bits of crown land. Alternatively I'm just going to drive up the 144 and look for clearings that I can park and investigate accordingly. I was hoping to do more camping and less scouting this season...but I guess I need to start somewhere :)

Thanks again for the info :)