View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: DIY galvanized ductwork wood stove.  (Read 315 times)

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
DIY galvanized ductwork wood stove.
« on: January 22, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »
Greetings

Lonnie from Far North Bushcraft and Survival has just released a great video on how he made a 11x11x22" galvanized ductwork wood stove for use in a hot tent.  The only specialized tools one needs for this build are a set of good tin snips and a pop rivet tool.

Go grab your favourite beverage, a snack and watch.

https://youtu.be/5mhQ6JQokm0

Cheers

Brian

Offline Boatman53

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: DIY galvanized ductwork wood stove.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:13:36 PM »
Just watched that before I came here. Pretty clever. And he did a great job presenting it.
Jim

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »
"Clever" is an apt descriptor for Lonnie, I think.

You'll see regular examples of cleverness and effectiveness throughout his videos - the result of an intelligent and creative mind. In his videos he certainly takes advantage of the fact that most viewers learn more by seeing than by hearing.

His approach compliments Dave Hatfield's DIY stove building techniques.

It would be neat, if you had the disposable cash, to attempt to follow these building methods using Ti pipe and sheet to build a small box stove for a very small but comfortable solo hot tent. Maybe a goal could be a home-built solo tent, stove, pipe, and ground cover at under 8 lbs!

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »
The reality is, a workable, small Ti stove and pipe is going to come in at about 3-4 lbs. You can also get a shelter in at about 3 lbs, which puts you at about 6-7 for the stove and shelter. 8 lbs. is a laudable goal, but you are definitely getting close to the lower limit of what can be done with existing materials.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »
The reality is, a workable, small Ti stove and pipe is going to come in at about 3-4 lbs. You can also get a shelter in at about 3 lbs, which puts you at about 6-7 for the stove and shelter. 8 lbs. is a laudable goal, but you are definitely getting close to the lower limit of what can be done with existing materials.
Damn 8lbs... Why do I use the gear I use.... I must missing something lol

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »
Great video! Thanks for sharing. I was surprised that he was able to bend the whole flange for the stovepipe down without snipping tabs into it - the galvanized metal stretches more than I thought it would. The result looks great. If I didn't already have a steel stove (built with a friend in his metalworking industrial shop with a cnc plasma cutter, hydraulic brake, etc.), I'd be considering some of his methods for sure.
Bryan
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.