View the most recent posts on the forum.

Poll

Which style of long underwear do you prefer?

Man was meant to fly!
5 (41.7%)
Why would I want all that extra fabric stuck up front
0 (0%)
Don't care as long as they are warm
7 (58.3%)
I'm female so I don't understand what you are on about.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: To Fly or Not To Fly That is the Question!!!  (Read 395 times)

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: To Fly or Not To Fly That is the Question!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 09:16:23 AM »
"poop on a piece of birch bark"!!! It's NEVER too cold to go outside! Up in the Kap one year doing restoration logging we had a guy that did just that- the next night he found his gear piled in the woodshed!
I've had those German military pants, I took them in and had the buttons replaced with a heavy brass zipper, and the fly lengthened about an inch- best $20 I ever spent!
I've crapped on my wader suspenders before :-[ Now I'm definitely a fly or strip it down guy! ;D

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 10:23:53 AM »
Hey, when did this become about pooping?

This is about fumbling around at the front trying to find what the cold has turned from a once proud salami into a shriveled chipolata and whether its easier to find through over your undergarments.

I guess I should have realised it would go downhill fast though!
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »
Downhill?  Hardly, maybe a lateral diversion, it is after all about relieving oneself, one way or the other.  One thing I can positively tell people with the utmost confidence....in an emergency, keep in mind that birch bark is no substitute for toilet paper, due to its slippery nature, and that snow cones used in place of birch bark at -25, or shall we say used after finding out that birch bark was a failure, are very unpleasant. 

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 06:16:26 PM »
Only a small sideways slip  :P

Offline Caribou

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 06:42:16 PM »
One of my favourite wool pants is a pair of used german military pants; very thick wool, lots of deep pockets, but......the fly is button-up, if you're lucky enough to unbutton it with cold fingers you'll never button it up again, never mind the long johns beneath!! Seriously considering a zipper installation....

I took Scoutergriz's advice and took my German wool pants into a local tailor to have the buttons replaced with a zipper. Picked them up today, $17 including tax and they did a great job! I'm currently sitting on the couch with them on and my wife's looking at me funny, maybe not the smartest clothing choice for Valentines day :)

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 04:45:07 AM »
, and the fly lengthened about an inch- best $20 I ever spent!

THIS^^^^^^^^^
Obviously the people who design winter pants have never had to use them in deep cold or they are anatomically enhanced.
It is one of the better features of British Battledress that the fly is very deep even if the buttons are a bit of a struggle, the solution for me will probably to simply leave the buttons undone and rely on the parka for windproofing in this sensitive area