View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Pulk Question (DIY)  (Read 911 times)

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Pulk Question (DIY)
« on: January 28, 2019, 06:50:46 pm »
I'm making a simple pulk and have my plan all set, but have a quick question....how important is it to have minimal space between where the poles (that attach to me) are attached to the actual sled?  I've seen some pulks where the poles are attached almost directly to the sled, thus allowing no free movement of the poles.  I've also seen where people will use a carabiner or something similar to attach to their poles, but this allows the poles to move a fair bit once attached.  Does it matter either way or is that just personal preference?  I'm kind of thinking that the less wiggle room the poles had where they attach to the sled, would mean better control over the pulk?

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Pulk Question (DIY)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 07:33:03 pm »
The very best solution I have found is the one from "The Pulk Book" using small trunnions

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:20:27 pm »
The jerking of carabiners drove me crazy. Went to rigid connection.

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 09:20:33 pm »
A tighter attachment will give you more solid control of the sled so at that on a lake it would not matter but tight trail/get around trees a solid mount will allow easier control of the sled IMO
My issue with the pulk is keeping weight really low in it otherwise it wants to always tip over..having the toboggan now it is much easier and can pack more more easily.
Like everything it is all about compromises
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 10:20:06 pm »
I gave up on poles and use rope like toboggan haulers. I know that's not your question, but it solved the issues pole have. 

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:56:54 am »
Thanks folks!  Gonna try it with poles this week and see if it works better than just using the ropes as-is....

Offline Chris Goetz

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 10:25:14 am »
FYI-
I used these parts on my pulk I built in 2015 and they've worked great:

2 x  QA1 EMR-8 Male Rod End
2 x  SS 316L Welded Round Tubing, 5/8" OD, 0.495" ID, 0.065" Wall, 12"  Length
2 x  Geotek 5 ft Fiberglass Electric Fence Post

The 12" piece of SS tube was cut in half and a male rod end was glued into one end. The fiberglass poles were sanded down a little to fit tightly into the other end of the SS tube and glued as well. I also tried using socket head screws to hold the pole in place but ended up using some cloth/gaffers tape to insure the poles connected to the tube.

The male rod ends were connected to the pulk using Zinc copper retaining pins https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OV7TILK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and some aluminum U brackets I had already.

Only other thing I've done over time is add some rubber bushing on either side of the male rod end to minimize slippage on the zinc pin and associated noise.

This was my attempt at DIYing poles like those made by others and those sold by https://www.skipulk.com/product/full-length-pole-set/
I'm very please with the results at less than 1/3rd the price. :)

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 04:44:07 pm »
Excellent info, thanks for taking the time to share that...