View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: -40 Solo Winter Pack Out | Clothing, Equipment and Snowmobile Setup  (Read 811 times)

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
For those interested, Ive just posted a 40 min video going through my entire -40 clothing, equipment and snowmobile setup for traveling in remote wilderness.  Obviously everyone has their own system, but I put this out to show what works best for me after years of trial and error.  Hope you all enjoy and let me know any feedback / suggestions or pointers.  Always looking for new ideas!  Cheers and enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Qa-lgJjjYYI

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: -40 Solo Winter Pack Out | Clothing, Equipment and Snowmobile Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 09:11:54 pm »
wow!    I'm speechless.    Thanks for the tips.  Stay safe.  When we meet I need to give you some NY bagels!   

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:15:33 am »
Excellent video, learned lots (also that's a really sweet snow machine).
M

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 03:02:55 pm »
Hello Harlan:  Cool video!  I thought that you would have carried some extra food(ie. bag of trail mix; chocolate; some dehydrated Mountain house meal or homemade dehydrated meals).  Thanks for  sharing.

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline brucekissinger

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 05:32:10 pm »
I really enjoyed this.  I had no idea that snowkobikes had those kinds of capabilities

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 09:14:02 pm »
Thanks for watching folks. 

@coldfeet, I'll take you up on those Bagels!

@Cousin Pete, hope you're doing well man.  Be so long since I've seen you, believe it was LSPP many years ago in the fall.  I still go back every other year in the fall, I miss those hills. Sometimes I carry a quick Uncle Ben's or Lipton Sidekicks in my billy pot, but this set-up is for day trips mostly and I carry a lunch so I don't always fuss about it. 

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:45:23 pm »
Finally got sound on my computer and watched. Neat snowmobile. A few questions tho
Why only 2 ice screws and not 3 to run equalized with a runner?
I know this gear is for your individual situation but no bright coloured tarp as dual purpose shelter and / or signal panel?
Totally with you on the OR bivvy but how would you stop the cold when lying on the ground? Is the plan to use the rucksack as ground insulation?
What did impress me is the Boreal wool anorak being windproof enough to use as an outer garment at those speeds with no outer shell

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:38:25 pm »
I prefer a bothy bag over a bivy as an emergency shelter. Easier to sit up and eat/read and usable by more than one person. They are usually made in bright colours so more visible to SAR.

Use a big pile of spruce boughs for ground insulation.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 01:37:19 pm »
Just to add to BV's comment re- bright colours. 

Years ago I trained as a spotter for CASARA.  Flew a few training missions with 402 out of Winnipeg including an actual tasking as well.

A Fire, good and Smokey, is the best to spot someone.  Bright colours as well as anything unusual is attention getting.  stay on the edge of a clearing, lake is best.  Green boughs in an SOS on snow. 

A dead snow machine sitting on a lake is a good visual reference.

People wanting to get found are usually easy to spot,  but not in heavy timber. 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 03:18:04 pm »
I heard that was the reason Dan Cooke came up with his multicolour tarps,they are more eyecatching than a single block of colour.

I believe a key piece of advice is to stay put and close to your vehicle, must take a lot of patience to sit and wait.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 02:44:14 pm »
Great discussion, thanks for the comments and ideas / suggestions.  With regards to ground insulation, it's not a concern as I have Spruce boughs readily available.  If I had to overnight near the lake or on the shore, it would not be a problem. 

This whole system was put together to get me through 1-2 nights in the case of an issue, it's not perfect, but it works well for my forest type and the situations I put myself in.  As was mentioned, getting "seen" whether from land or air is not a factor as my snow machine on the lake is a big target.  Also, I would have a load of Spruce boughs at the ready to burn and out on the lake, a steady stream of smoke can be seen from miles and miles away!

Thanks again for watching!

Online Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 03:54:56 pm »

Thanks again for watching!
Really enjoyed the second hand scenery, my eyeballs were cold just watching