View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Scorch Mark on Tent Wall  (Read 429 times)

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Scorch Mark on Tent Wall
« on: January 31, 2019, 09:26:28 pm »
Just acquired a "new" used tent. I noticed it has a light brown scorch mark on the wall under the stove jack. It is not charred or even dark brown, but I am wondering if the fabric has undergone pyrolysis and would be easier to ignite? Should the section be removed and replaced?
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Scorch Mark on Tent Wall
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 07:37:53 am »
Well pyrolysis only takes place in the absence of oxygen so no.

It is a bit scorched. No worries, it’s just like the first scratch in a new canoe; someone has done it for you now you don’t have to fret about it.

I would though look carefully at what heat shields you plan on using. Following a tip from a buddy I have begun using two shields behind the stove, one on the ground and the second hung from the stove pipe by a loop of fishing wire. I like to have the stove set back away from the main travel route to leave things clear for the dog (and me!) and this keeps everything cool back there.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 10:48:43 am »
I would inspect that section of fabric carefully, I've seen on tent I have fixed for clients that canvas that was scorch sometime become "friable"... So it might be worth pulling on the fabric in that area in all direction to se if it still have integrity, cause you don't want a rip tent in the bush...

BV, what do you use for heat shields... I try different things, like Reflextix(spelling I'm never sure of it) and found it a bit light and I'm afraid that it wouldn't take mush to have it land on the stove and then melt or worst ignite!

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 11:38:51 am »
We just use boring aluminum flashing for side shields. I either fold the edges or tape it with foil tape. The hanging shield is really neat idea. The fishing wire leader can cope with direct heat from the pipe and just lets the shield cover the gap between stove jack and lower shield. With the stove closer to the side it is easier to get a more vertical pipe.

My Snowtrekker came with a thin kevlar blanket sewn in the area behind the stove. First one I had seen like that. It still got really hot though. A reflective surface is way better.

If you really are worried about that area of fabric I would not cut it out, just sew a new piece of fabric over the top (on the inside)
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 03:28:54 pm »
I have some fabric from a welding blanket that I could sew over the scorched area? Good idea.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 02:05:04 am »
I have some fabric from a welding blanket that I could sew over the scorched area? Good idea.

That would surely work!