View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: 4 Days in the Algonquin Back-Country with my Son  (Read 2637 times)

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
4 Days in the Algonquin Back-Country with my Son
« on: February 04, 2019, 04:10:25 pm »
Just got back from 4 days in Algonquin with my 11 year old son.  He loves camping but this was his first back-country winter camping trip.  We didn't go too far back from where we parked as we wanted to bring lots of comforts from home, and also wanted the ability to access the truck for drives to hikes and stuff.  The weather took a real swing in temps as we started at -27 on Friday and ended up at 14 today coming home!  The canvas tent was soaked from the freezing drizzle and made packing up a bit of a pain... We saw a couple moose, a fox and a fellow Wintertrekking member as well!

We woke up at 5am and left the house to head north to Algonquin.  The temperature outside in the Park when we arrived was -27! 

We began loading our gear onto the DIY pulk I made (worked awesome!) and did a few trips back and forth to the truck.  We wanted to bring lots of warm stuff and some extra comforts from home.

Finally took a breather after setting up the hot tent.  It's a fair bit of work getting everything lugged back to the campsite and all set up, but well worth it...One day I'll get a Snowtrekker tent as I find my back starts really hurting as I'm always bending over to get into this one, and the walls inside are quite steep...does the trick for now though...

The snow was super deep which made off-trail travel super tiring.  Thankfully we both had snowshoes...

We did a few day trips and fed the Chickadees....We hiked a couple of the trails in the park and explored around the area during the day, and also did a couple of night hikes.

We also took a trip into Mew Lake and spent the afternoon skating.  We met some great people and hung around for the afternoon skating, sitting by the fire and sharing a few drinks.

I had visions of doing this picture under a star-filled sky but unfortunately it was cloudy every night.  I'll have to try it again when it clears up

It was such a great time getting to spend 4 days in the park with my son.  He loved every minute of it and didn't complain once about the cold, damp, etc.  Hoping for many more great memories in the park with him!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:02:47 am by hotelfive »

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Days in the Algonquin Back-Country with my Son
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 04:39:06 pm »
You did a very fine job of documenting your trip with beautiful photographs. You are a very talented photographer.
Your son will remember these times that he spent with his Dad forever. It is great to see kids having fun somewhere other than sitting in front of a video screen.
I  enjoyed your trip report and look forward to many more. The quality of your photos is stunning and I always look forward to seeing them.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 05:41:45 pm »
Thanks a lot I appreciate the kind words :) So true...it's amazing how much more fun they can actually have without Playstations and iPads!

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 05:44:11 pm »
Greetings HotelFive

For some reason your photos aren't showing up for me.  It just shows a large area for each photo with a large minus sign in there.

Cheers

Brian

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:46:10 pm »
Hmm I was wondering about that...i shared from Google Images so I wonder if it's because they are private for some?  Seems to have worked for another member though...

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 07:28:03 pm »
I can't see them either.

Kinguq.

Offline walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 07:37:15 pm »
It was nice running into you guys ;)
You are not kiddin' about the amount of snow, wow, over 4ft in the bush! It was hard work getting in and out, but at least we have some wood to come back to.
The pics are amazing as always Steve, thanks for sharing and I'm sure we'll see you out there again!

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 10:20:55 pm »
Great trip report but alas I can't see the pics!

Offline Old Guide

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 07:37:22 am »
Great trip report but alas I can't see the pics!

Same here, but its great you took your son and he will never forget that  trip.

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 10:03:34 am »
Ok I tried something different so let me know if you can see the pics now!

Thanks folks!

Online Getoffthepaved36

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 10:16:39 am »
Good to see the young one getting out.  Pics show up just fine.

Offline Wilderwes

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 10:18:52 am »
Fantastic trip report and top-notch photos. My 8 year old son has been on a few hot tenting trips with me and just loves it.

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 11:58:26 am »
Great write-up Steve. Where did you set up camp?

I wonder if the pics are not showing up for people who aren't signed up for Google/Gmail.

Cheers
M

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 12:21:02 pm »
Thanks guys :)  We went up the Minnesing Trial towards Cannisbay Lake.....

I thought it might have been that issue as well (Google) so I used a completely different site to upload and host the images...seems to have rectified :)

Offline hotelfive

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 12:23:59 pm »
It was nice running into you guys ;)
You are not kiddin' about the amount of snow, wow, over 4ft in the bush! It was hard work getting in and out, but at least we have some wood to come back to.
The pics are amazing as always Steve, thanks for sharing and I'm sure we'll see you out there again!

Great seeing you guys as well!  I love that you guys went in for the day to prep your site for a follow-up visit....Great you guys do that together as well.  I'm still amazed how much distance you both did in that deep snow in a day!