View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: DIY - Trekable Rocket-Type Tent Stove  (Read 654 times)

Offline Snowbound

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
DIY - Trekable Rocket-Type Tent Stove
« on: February 18, 2019, 10:46:57 am »
I’ve been tinkering with rockets stoves for several years and I finally came up with one that is not only efficient but compact and light weight enough for trekking.  It is basically a vertical cylinder stove with a baffle modeled after the rocket stoves Chimpac has posted elsewhere in this forum but it’s size and setup are more suited to a standard 2-3 person tent.  The stove body is 10” round duct with end caps.  The door pieces, baffle and chimney reinforcement area are also duct metal.  The legs are bent aluminum stock with metal cable loops that accept split firewood pieces to make floats.   The whole package with 8’ stainless shim stock chimney weighs 7 pounds and cost under $100. 

It kind of looks like a hobo stove but I am super pleased with the performance.  It’s prettylight for a steel stove.  The baffle pushes all the flame directly to the cooking surface and the low, long air intake force all the oxygen right at the base of the fire.  Here’s some more photos of the stove and the cardboard templates I made for the tricky parts.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:10:30 am by Snowbound »

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: DIY - Trek-able Rocket Tent Stove
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 11:51:31 am »
Hmmm unfortunately I can't see any of the pictures...

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 09:18:48 pm »
I can only see one pic. Not fixed just yet

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 10:12:05 pm »
Can see it all now look good... but I must be missing something cause I bought rocket stove where designed a bit differently....

Offline Snowbound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 10:37:13 pm »
Yeah, I finally got the photos to work.

Is it a rocket stove?  Maybe, maybe not.  I've built  a few rocket tent heaters with the "L" shape, insulated heat risers, feed tubes, heat exchangers and the whole bit.  Maybe I'll dig them out and take a few photos.  The problem is they end up too heavy and too unwieldy to pack on a sled and haul anywhere.  This stove is trimmed down to the minimum but still retains the low air intake into an exaggerated vertical combustion chamber focused directly onto the cooking surface and then the fire/smoke actually travels downward to the get to the chimney. 

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 11:22:50 am »
Yeah, I finally got the photos to work.

Is it a rocket stove?  Maybe, maybe not.  I've built  a few rocket tent heaters with the "L" shape, insulated heat risers, feed tubes, heat exchangers and the whole bit.  Maybe I'll dig them out and take a few photos.  The problem is they end up too heavy and too unwieldy to pack on a sled and haul anywhere.  This stove is trimmed down to the minimum but still retains the low air intake into an exaggerated vertical combustion chamber focused directly onto the cooking surface and then the fire/smoke actually travels downward to the get to the chimney.
Thanks for that clarification.

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Re: DIY - Trekable Rocket-Type Tent Stove
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 09:54:32 am »
Excellent. As yo say it is a somewhat larger and simplified version of a Chimpac stove. I would not call it a rocket stove as it lacks a riser. I like your baffle design as I was puzzling out something similar for a new build.

Kinguq.

Offline wood/canvas

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 05:10:09 pm »
Looks like a great little stove, what lengths of wood are you burning?  Any chance of a photo of it burning?

Offline walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 01:09:10 pm »
nice set up! love the internal baffle. Something on the to do list for my steam pan stove one day

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 08:56:43 pm »
Looking good my friend! Love the size and weight. Perfect for a 10" GSI Dutch oven!

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline Goski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 03:13:49 pm »
Thing of beauty Snowbound!  I made something very similar out of 7" dia black flue pipe and two end-caps with a smaller baffle inside and it works fine as well.  My tin work skills are rather poor and the stove doesn't look as good as Snowbound's, so I wouldn't show it off here.  Still works well and quite enough for a small 7' x 7' square lavvu.