View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: taking my buddy...............i think  (Read 2166 times)

Offline jimdiane

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
taking my buddy...............i think
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:21:28 am »
Like i mentioned before, headed up to killarney this weekend with a group to camp at George lake campground(some are tenting, some are yurting) I decided to take my hot tent(and metal poles) since we can't touch any live trees in the campground. I plan to go into the bush away from the main area to look for any dead standing wood for my wood stove ;). Anyway, thinking about taking my 2 1/2 year old Lab, Charlie with me, but am a little worried if he will be cold(especially at night) He is a big lap dog but loves the snow!! Any comments or suggestions? I plan to bring a few wool blankets and some vaseline for his toes. Should I bring him?
thanx
jim
p.s the weather forecast is -18 at the coldest, sat night and most days will be around -5, not that cold

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: taking my buddy...............i think
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:23:32 am »
Your dog should probably be ok, as long as he's sleeping in the tent with you.  His coat is probably not thick enough for him to spend the night outdoors.

One of my dogs is a malamute/siberian cross, and he is happy outside no matter how cold it gets.  The other is a shepherd cross and is slightly hypothyroid.  Even now that he's on medication, he needs a fleece jacket if the temperature drops below about -5.

I don't know about standing dead wood at George Lake.  You mentioned some of your friends are yurting.  Is the campground accessible by road like Mew Lake in Algonquin?  If so, it may be heavily used and there may not be a lot of dry wood available.  You might want to take some with you.
"Give me winter, give me dogs.  You can keep the rest."  - Knud Rasmussen
"Ride like you stole something." - Lance Armstrong

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: taking my buddy...............i think
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 11:55:36 am »
sounds like you had a great time - the yurts turned out really well and are a great addition to the Park.   

just so you know - the wood in the warm up hut is split and placed there for users of the warm up hut only - it's not supposed to be taken to your hot tent!