View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Ski Climbing Skins  (Read 502 times)

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Ski Climbing Skins
« on: February 20, 2019, 11:27:42 pm »
I have a pair of G3 ski climbing skins for my Atomic TM22 Telemark skis and Asnes Combi Combat backcountry touring skis. I need them for climbing "hills" here in the in the western US.

Skis with skins are FAR easier to use than snowshoes if you have even a modicum of XC skiing skill. I may even sell my MSR Lightning Ascent 'shoes.

Anyone else use climbing skins?

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Ski Climbing Skins
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 11:41:20 am »
Skis are not easier than snowshoes and snowshoes are not easier than skis... They are different. I use both and both have there advantage and inconvenience! 

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:52:35 pm »
Du Nord,

My experience in both Pennsylvania and Nevada supports - in spades - that skis require less effort than snowshoes in all conditions except very rocky, brushy or steep conditions. This resumes the skier has basic ski skills, of course, like braking and turning.

I have MSR Lightning Ascent 'shoes with add-on tail extensions. These are the grippiest large 'shoes I could find. Yeah, traditional "Michigan" style 'shoes are perhaps more supportive in deep snow but I'll take my Tele skis or the new Black Diamond Glidelite short skis 90% of the time over any 'shoes.

Eric B.

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 09:49:03 am »
I use moderate touring skis (Asnes Marka) with "skinny skins" for bush skiing here in Ontario. I cut regular skins in half lengthwise to make a pair about 13 mm wide. See https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=3827.msg34219#msg34219

That said I also use large traditional snowshoes. It depends somewhat on the conditions and on my mood. Generally I prefer the physical motion of skiing but sometimes they are a bit of a hassle and I just want to strap on the old shoes. Also it is far easier to use shoes for tasks like making camp and gathering firewood.

Kinguq.

Offline Goski

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 02:51:29 pm »
Hi all,
I am in 300winmag camp, but probably because I grew up with ski, not with snowshoes.  Once I bought a pair (of snowshoes, modern ones from MEC), tried three times and sold them next season.  I live and ski in western Canada, where the bush is not very dense and have usually some trails, old forestry roads, rivers or just wide open alpine to ski on, so I never felt that ski (versus snowshoes) limit my mobility in any way.  And the snow is made for gliding!  But, again, like many other things, it's a matter of personal preference.  As long as it doesn't burn gas, makes noise and pollutes air - it's all good.

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 04:55:26 pm »
A note on climbing skins.  If you plan on climbing any angle with them, be sure they are full width.  If you go with narrower skins, when you put any angle on the ski while traversing a slope, you lift the skin off the snow and will slip. 

I spend 90 percent of my time on skis, and 10 percent on snowshoes or traction devices when i am on ice or breakable crust, or in terrain too tight for maneuvering on skis