View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter backpack  (Read 610 times)

Offline Stonehouse

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Winter backpack
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 10:09:04 am »
You guys are tough. That kind of weight is going to seriously mess with your knee joints. I should start saving to the replacement surgery now.

But seriously, there is no reason you should be carrying that kind of weight on a normal trip, so why select a pack designed to carry such a load?

We are spoilt for choice when it comes to light and ultralight gear now so you don’t need to rough it to keep the weight down.

You make a really good distinction here, BV. For me, my heaviest loads are during hunting season, packing out meat and hide + rifle + camp. Second heaviest for me is a load of photography gear + packraft + camp + fishing gear...or carrying a chainsaw plus gas, oil, and gear when I help about a friend of mine who's a forester. All of these experiences are really rewarding and fun...and hard work. It's a different ethos than backpacking trips where the chief purpose is to get outside and cover ground.

What I've found over time though, is the suspension on my big game pack handles loads so well that I've come to prefer it for standard backpacking trips too. For me, it's just that much more comfortable, and it easily compresses down for smaller volumes. Mine has replaced my packboard, my external frame pack, and my old backpacking packs. About the only time I don't use it is for UL or minimalist overnights/weekend trips.