View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Snowtrekker Tent, FourDog stove and a SnowDog on an Adirondack Lake  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
I head off with my brother for a reminiscing weekend. This is his first time winter camping. We enjoy the power of the SnowDog to get us to our camping site, the warmth of my split, dry, maple hardwood burning in the FourDog titanium stove, and the cozy, solidly built, Snowtrekker tent... not to mention the Knob Creek Smoked Maple bourbon that helps along the reminiscing time. Cheers.

https://youtu.be/TcYgPnW1Srk

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Snowtrekker Tent, FourDog stove and a SnowDog on an Adirondack Lake
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 12:48:41 pm »
I had a taste(double) of that one yesterday http://oppidanspirits.com/home/Smoke+Sea.html... I think it will be my new bourbon! I've been leaving the bourbon aside for a while cause I liked scotch better but that thing is out of this world!! Anyway look like you guys had fun!!

Offline Old Guide

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 02:40:05 pm »
Nice outfit and video

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 04:05:03 pm »
So now that you have gone to the SnowDog, maybe you should consider a powered auger too, lol.  I got one two years ago, sure is sweet!

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 06:17:06 am »
Good video. That plastic door is really great.

How do you find the steering of the SnowDog?

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:37:04 am »
How do you find the steering of the SnowDog?

When breaking trail, in the woods, in deep snow steering is probably like riding a bear. Once a trail is broken however steering is much better but the machine still can get away pretty easily if your not paying attention as the thing has a lot of torque. I think you have to treat it like a real dog sled team and sometimes you will have to be the lead dog and break trial.

On the lakes/flats in moderate/deep snow its pretty good breaking trail but it still gives you an upper body workout. Again on a packed trail its fine.

It hauls a lot of gear without problems on packed trails/ice (I did add ice screws to the track) and on the lake it was breaking trail through 8" of snow hauling 2 ice fishing sleds,  a 9' Black River Toboggan, ~450 lbs human male meat, and all our gear without a problem.

Offline h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 09:19:34 am »
bourbon that helps along the reminiscing time

Just cross the border, we legalized more potent substances to help reminiscing....
The tent and stove doors are awesome.

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 10:25:06 am »

So, did your brother enjoy his first winter experience ?
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 10:30:54 am »

So, did your brother enjoy his first winter experience ?

Absolutely. He has the genes... he just has to not wear jeans.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 10:59:23 am »
Right now we are getting 12-18" of new snow on top of the 35" we already had. Last weekend I had my Skidoo Tundra out and for the most part, it handled what was already on the ground ok. I did have one point where I drove into a huge drift and had to get off and walk it out.

I have thought long and hard about selling my Skidoo and replacing it with a Snowdog. So, I am wondering how you think the Snowdog would handle the current snow depths we are dealing with? I was ice fishing with a guy two weekends ago, and we had ridden our sleds about 12 miles in to a remote lake. I mentioned a Snowdog, and he said no way would a Snowdog handle our current snow depths.

I see you are talking about 8" of snow on top of frozen ice. We have over 5 times that much snow on the ground now.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 11:16:06 am »
Right now we are getting 12-18" of new snow on top of the 35" we already had. Last weekend I had my Skidoo Tundra out and for the most part, it handled what was already on the ground ok. I did have one point where I drove into a huge drift and had to get off and walk it out.

I have thought long and hard about selling my Skidoo and replacing it with a Snowdog. So, I am wondering how you think the Snowdog would handle the current snow depths we are dealing with? I was ice fishing with a guy two weekends ago, and we had ridden our sleds about 12 miles in to a remote lake. I mentioned a Snowdog, and he said no way would a Snowdog handle our current snow depths.

I see you are talking about 8" of snow on top of frozen ice. We have over 5 times that much snow on the ground now.

Don't sell your sled Rbinhood. I don't think the SnowDog would handle breaking trail at that snow depth. As I said it's great on already packed trails and it would get you 12+ miles to a remote lake on a packed/broken trail but it's not going to get you there having to break trail in that snow depth.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 11:26:08 am »
Thanks for the advice. The Skidoo is paid for. Now I don't have to come up with a spare 3 grand to buy a Snowdog.

There are some videos on YouTube of people who have taken old snowmobiles with blown engines, cut the frames, keeping the track section, and repurposed them into Snowdog like machines. I am looking at something like that for a summer project. Might give me the best of both worlds.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 04:29:43 pm »
I play too...
Let's try that nemesis for all our travel methods - Slush.

I was booting around a lake this weekend and ran into a slush pocket.  Now when I saw the prior track had that distinctive colour I went onto fresh snow and kept the throttle up.  all good.  On the way back I didn't and could feel the speed drop and opened it up more and coated my toboggan with ice. 

From the videos the snowdog looks to have enough jam to power thru.  BG - any experience yet?

I like the snowdog - and can see the usefulness of it especially in low snow years.  This year is more of a wide & long track year with extra width on the skiis.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 05:52:37 pm »
I play too...
Let's try that nemesis for all our travel methods - Slush.

From the videos the snowdog looks to have enough jam to power thru.  BG - any experience yet?

No experience in true slush yet. Only snow or water on ice. My first trip this winter it rained 1/4" and that's what we had on top of 10" of ice for the trip back.

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 06:14:58 pm »
Deeper slush, where the machine has to push a layer of snow out of the way if it cannot climb on top, seems to be a problem for a tentative driver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKuVyJ8WRI