View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Initial Setup & Thoughts Video Snowtrekker Basecamp 9 x 11.5 & Gstove XL  (Read 707 times)

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
Just received this new tent and stove combo this week so it was time to give them a try out in the forest  Initial thoughts are that this tent and stove combo are impressive, but we'll see how it goes after a months use come early April.  The tent performed amazing as always and I have full confidence in any Snowtrekker product.

I was concerned with the stove not coming with an elbow though (Gstove was sold out of these), so i rigged up my own temporary solution to get by...still need some work on that but it'll make do for now. 

I was also concerned with the 2.5" pipe that comes with this stove as I'm used to the 5" that comes with the knife-co's...but I'm so sick of my knife-co stoves....too much warping and messing around and always rusting even after painting....I'm hopeful this will be the long term solution....we will see!  Enjoy the video

https://youtu.be/yXzfnCmhqus

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Pretty tiny stove... As for your "disk" thing, the thing I would do is make an elliptical hole that way it would sit exactly where you want it. but I what I did for my stove and tent combo(snowtrekker EXP short wall 9x11 1/2 and Fourdog ti stove is I use a square of heat resistant stove jack material(silicone impregnated fabric) and cut to slits opposing each other at 90 degrees just like this "+" having each slits cut to the diameter of the pipe. I then slide that like you do with your ring and bingo.... Not perfect of course but light compact and easy to work with! As for securing the pipe, I don't use bipods or tripods anymore, I came up with a system(borrowed the idea from some one I think) of three ropes attached to the last section of pipe, one rope goes to the from apex loop of the tent, second to the front bottom corner stakes loop and the last one to the back end of the side pole where the back wall/side wall and roof meet!! thought line hitch so you can adjust the tension and position the pipe perfectly!! and it also pull all the pipes together so no need to wire them together to prevent separation!

Offline Old Guide

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Real nice video Harlan

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Just saw you using those new clips for the guy out system.  I tried buying those last year off another forum member, to late.   I will buy those soon from ST.  Paused the video, thanks for sharing. 

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
Those clips are amazing.....game changer indeed!

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Interested to see how the g-stove performs on an extended trip with sub z temps. Firebox seems small for a 9 x 11.5 or similar. The door size really determines the size of wood you can burn. Thanks for the video!

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas