View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Where in the world is HOOP?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Pathfinder

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Where in the world is HOOP?
« on: April 19, 2019, 04:13:32 pm »
I haven't seen any new posts here on this forum, nor have I seen any updates to his YT channel.  Anyone heard from him lately?  I hope he's alright.

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Where in the world is HOOP?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 02:44:10 pm »
I haven't seen any new posts here on this forum, nor have I seen any updates to his YT channel.  Anyone heard from him lately?  I hope he's alright.

That's a great question.  I was thinking the same thing myself. 

His last youtube video was from his canoe trip series back in mid August of 2018.

I hope all is well with him.

Cheers

Brian

Offline Old Guide

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 06:38:23 pm »
He helped me get back on here in January...but that doesn't mean he is well. I can only hope and pray he is.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 08:06:53 am »
Harlan sold the website to Hoop. I think he and Harlan may communicate, so perhaps Harlan can chime in and solve the great mystery? Has anyone tried to send Hoop a PM?
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Pathfinder

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 02:41:51 pm »
I have sent a couple PM's to HOOP but no response.  Im current in contact with Harlan as we speak and will ask him about HOOP's status.  I'll post an update here whenever i have any feedback.  Please do the same if you hear anything. 

Thank you. 

Offline buddhabelly

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 09:39:38 pm »
It's been pretty quiet here lately and I've been following Harlan's videos and in his last one, he was pretty worked up about Woodland caribou Park and their official/unofficial rule re:snowmobiles. I hope everything works out for him. Didn't know Hoop bought the site from harlan. Guess something will be announced when it's official ?

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 08:06:51 am »
Hoop has owned the site for going on 2 years. I stopped at Harlan's store in Red Lake 2 years ago in October, on my way home from a moose hunt, and they were in the process of finalizing the agreement.
It was shortly after that donations were accepted by Hoop to help cover the cost of keeping the site up and running.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Online AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 07:31:47 pm »
Last I heard of hoop was last year wondering the same thing, he had a hockey injury and staid low for a while but I don't know if he's doing better or not!

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 10:53:49 am »
Had a buddy contact me asking when his application to join the site would come through. Sent HOOP a PM but haven't heard back.

Certainly a tendency to think the worst but I expect he is either working his butt off out in the field or having a great time on an epic trip somewhere that will make us all jealous.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Online h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 02:26:34 pm »
Isn't it sad in the modern world.. We meet people online, get to know them and then they drop off the face of the net and we have no idea...

Offline Old Guide

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 09:44:56 pm »
Yea, and so many we can't contact, just left wondering and hoping.

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 08:33:23 am »
Last activity was Feb 6/19. I contacted him before that suggesting another fund raiser. He replied saying yes. Not a peep since. I hope all is well with him!!!

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 10:17:24 am »
howdy gang,

I reached out to a fellow in Hoops location who knows him in the Physical world.  The response I received was limited as they didn't feel right responding to a rando on the internet but he would reach out to him and let him know people were concerned about him.

Life takes us all in many paths and priorities rise and fall depending on the urgency at the time. 

I see two major concerns here - one we are concerned about the person who did so much to get all of us into winter camping and helped provide this discussion platform, and the second is the business side of the site and the users needs. 

I hope the first is resolved favourably for Hoop.
The second is somewhat reliant on the first; however, I suspect that like trackshare and other forums this will eventually be replaced by facebook groups once the costs become prohibitive for the number of users remaining active and willing to fund it.

Enjoy the summer season everyone in the Northern hemisphere, and enjoy winter for those in the southern! I will still check back regularly but my attention is now on backpacking and canoeing!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 07:05:01 pm »
I do hope that Hoop is OK
As for transferring to a Facebook group at least here there is very little data mining going on and no irrelevant advertising popping up every 3 seconds
If he is ill or injured I wish him a speedy recovery

Offline Pathfinder

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 09:12:08 pm »
UPDATE:

Im happy to report that I've heard through a trusted source that HOOP is well and doing just fine.  He's busy taking care of other matters and will be back here in the near future.

Im looking forward to more videos and commentary on his YT channel.  :)