View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Where in the world is HOOP?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Where in the world is HOOP?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 09:21:36 pm »
Good news. Sometimes life gets in the way.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Old Guide

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 07:53:36 am »
UPDATE:

Im happy to report that I've heard through a trusted source that HOOP is well and doing just fine.  He's busy taking care of other matters and will be back here in the near future.

Im looking forward to more videos and commentary on his YT channel.  :)

Good news indeed. Thanks

Online kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 09:05:25 am »
Good to know that Hoop is OK. However it is undeniably the case that this forum has seen a dramatic fall in postings this year. I think there are a few reasons for this. There are now some winter camping groups on FaceBook, and many of us use them. So that is competition in a sense.

But for me the biggest issue continues to be the hassle of posting photos on this forum. I lost hundreds of posted photos in the PhotoBucket fiasco, and that has really put me off posting photos here. Who is to say that other photo hosting sites will not take the same route?

It seems a shame. I prefer the posting style that sites like this promote: longer, more thoughtful posts and trip reports, rather than the very short and photo-heavy postings on FB. And of course there is so much valuable information on the site. But I am afraid this site will die unless a simple and reliable photo posting option is found. And yes, I realize that the site doesn't generate advertising revenue, and that limits what can be done, so I am not criticizing the administrators for this. Just pointing out the obvious.

Kinguq.

Offline Old Guide

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 09:44:12 pm »
Good to know that Hoop is OK. However it is undeniably the case that this forum has seen a dramatic fall in postings this year. I think there are a few reasons for this. There are now some winter camping groups on FaceBook, and many of us use them. So that is competition in a sense.

But for me the biggest issue continues to be the hassle of posting photos on this forum. I lost hundreds of posted photos in the PhotoBucket fiasco, and that has really put me off posting photos here. Who is to say that other photo hosting sites will not take the same route?

It seems a shame. I prefer the posting style that sites like this promote: longer, more thoughtful posts and trip reports, rather than the very short and photo-heavy postings on FB. And of course there is so much valuable information on the site. But I am afraid this site will die unless a simple and reliable photo posting option is found. And yes, I realize that the site doesn't generate advertising revenue, and that limits what can be done, so I am not criticizing the administrators for this. Just pointing out the obvious.

Kinguq.

Your PhotoBucket mention has me wondering. I had 1200 photos there and  couldn't get at them for a long time when  they were charging $ [ransom if you ask me] but they changed their policy and I no longer have that problem. Are you sure you still do?

Online kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 07:40:55 am »
"Your PhotoBucket mention has me wondering. I had 1200 photos there and  couldn't get at them for a long time when  they were charging $ [ransom if you ask me] but they changed their policy and I no longer have that problem. Are you sure you still do?"

Hmm, good point. I had installed an app called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" that allowed ME to see the posted photos but not anyone else unless they also had the app. However I just uninstalled the app and I can still see the photos, so I guess you are correct. So I withdraw my point about Photobucket.  Thanks for the correction.

Still, it is worth pondering why there has been such a decline in traffic on the site this year. If it is not the inconvenience of photo posting (it is still inconvenient), what is it? Winter trekking seems more popular than ever judging by the traffic on other sites I see.

Kinguq

Offline h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 08:46:37 am »
Still, it is worth pondering why there has been such a decline in traffic on the site this year. If it is not the inconvenience of photo posting (it is still inconvenient), what is it?

I've seen it on other 'older' forums like this one, it's the social media and mobile, IMO.
Better more intuitive technology came along, it's not just pics, but that is a big part of it. Sad.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 01:40:49 pm »
I suspect there are a whole stick of reasons folk would rather use social media instead of a forum.

Folk don't want to search for information. They want to post a question and receive an answer right back.

And they don't want anyone criticizing them or telling them they may have been a better way to do it or reason why folk don't do it that way. I suspect that in Facebook groups your much more likely to get positive feedback to whatever you post maybe from folk who really haven't got that much experience.

Just my take on it from brief views of public groups but it's been enough to deter me from joining the soshul meja crowd.

www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Old Guide

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 03:28:40 pm »
I suspect there are a whole stick of reasons folk would rather use social media instead of a forum.

Folk don't want to search for information. They want to post a question and receive an answer right back.

And they don't want anyone criticizing them or telling them they may have been a better way to do it or reason why folk don't do it that way. I suspect that in Facebook groups your much more likely to get positive feedback to whatever you post maybe from folk who really haven't got that much experience.

Just my take on it from brief views of public groups but it's been enough to deter me from joining the soshul meja crowd.
You sure nailed some of it.1. Immediate answers is why smart phones are so popular until they don't work in the woods...and books and libraries are so unpopular, they require time.
2.I don't mind searching, that's how I found Wintertrekking.  I lived in a teepee in the Adirondacks and guided year around there but there is stuff in books and stuff being posted here I never learned.
3. 'Positive' feedback? How about on many sites every piece of equipment tested gets 4 or 5 stars from the unexperienced! Lets  face it, much of it under hard use wouldn't rate 3 stars or get us home safely.
4. Someone will say, I don't use that forum [any forum] anymore because nothing new is on it! I say, Tried posting something on it lately? [duh!]
5. People are fickle and play follow the leader, go with the masses [even if their stupid]. That's what made Faceplant...I  mean Facebook.

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 10:33:08 am »

I think this is pretty accurate.  I also think a big part of it is immediacy; tap the icon and post text and image - done, and with larger groups you get a lot of responses pretty quickly too. 

I joined a group on FB earlier this year.  It didn't take long for me to get very bored with it.  I found there to be too many dumb questions like "I'm going camping this weekend, will my 5º  bag be warm enough?"  Well, is that ºC or ºF, are you going to be in a tent, and are you going somewhere in Oklahoma or Ontario? Also, there were way to many responses from people who seemed rather ill-informed but eager to be heard.  I gave up on it.  If I have any questions to ask about winter camping, or want to provide assistance to someone else, I'll do it right here on wintertrekking.com. 

Online kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 11:39:17 am »
Well, it's fine to be critical of Facebook groups, but that doesn't do us any good here. The lower the activity on this site, the less incentive there is to post here, at least for me and I suspect for others. I see that as a problem. It becomes a downward spiral that I have seen on other groups.

Question: for those that use smartphones (I don't), is this site smartphone friendly? Many people no longer use lap- or desktops, so if it is not, that could be part of the problem.

Kinguq.

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 04:30:38 pm »
Question: for those that use smartphones (I don't), is this site smartphone friendly? Many people no longer use lap- or desktops, so if it is not, that could be part of the problem.

Not really mobile friendly from my attempts in the past.  Tapatalk is good for some of the other forums but wasn't able to work with this one - could be me.  I use computer.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 09:06:28 pm »
I think the site is built on an old (for the internet) platform. Definitely not mobile friendly. When I updated my site I chose to go with Wix because they did all the work of creating a mobile friendly site as well as one for the computer/laptop.

I just checked the forum templates available and they have a look and feel very similar to Facebook or Instagram. Its a huge amount of work migrating over content though and not something to be done in a weekend but using one of the new online app based website creators is definitely the way to go for the average person.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 07:36:52 am »
For those interested and that have asked, HOOP is doing just fine and will be back shortly.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 08:11:55 am »
Thanks Harlan. Good to know. He has been missed, as this thread shows.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau