View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Where in the world is HOOP?  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Ron

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Nordic woodsmanship & skills
Re: Where in the world is HOOP?
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2019, 10:57:40 am »
Good to know!
All glory comes from daring to begin...

Offline Pathfinder

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 07:39:51 am »
Ok seriously, has anyone spoke with HOOP in the last few weeks?

Is he not well?
Personal business to deal with? 
Has he abandoned this site? 
What's the scoop? 

I miss him.. :(

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 03:58:46 pm »
He also was not in attendance at the Winter Camping Symposium a couple of weeks ago. Nobody there seemed to know what was happening with him.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2019, 07:28:28 pm »
Hoop bought the website from Harlan. If anyone has Harlan's email, he might know where Hoop is.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2019, 11:34:53 pm »
For those interested and that have asked, HOOP is doing just fine and will be back shortly.

well Harlan seems to know a thing or two but doesn't seem to want to let us know!!

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2019, 11:38:45 am »
I have not spoken to HOOP in months so I have no idea what's going on. When I did speak to him last, he was fine. 

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2019, 01:32:17 pm »
Thank you for checking in, Harlan. I think people here are simply concerned for Hoop's well being, and that is why these questions are being asked. Not only is Hoop the current owner of the website, but prior to that he was a treasured and respected member here whose experience and knowledge of Winter camping and all things related was highly valued. My take is, people just want to make sure that his silence is not because he is suffering from a serious health condition, or something else that might prevent him from contributing.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline K.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2019, 06:29:31 pm »
Second that. Assuming all's well and it's not a health issue, could be he just had enough of the website business? The guy at myccr just quit cold turkey, stuck with it too long and then just had to walk away from it. I think it's a lot more work running these websites than most people realize.

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 09:40:40 am »
I personally spoke with HOOP 2 weeks ago. His day job has kept him occupied for the majority of this season. He was unable to attend this years' Winter Camping Symposium, and was sad about that. We missed him!

We all have to prioritize our lives, and HOOP has many other important things to focus his efforts on currently. He loves this community of Winter travelers, but this is basically a volunteer/non profit website. Life has many twists, and turns.

I would ask, as his friend that we continue to support him thru this site, by posting, and continuing to promote Winter Camping. At some point, he plans to spend some time on the website. However, not sure when this will happen.

It takes a village to keep the candle lit!

Sincerely,
LL,   Ryan Fox
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline Pathfinder

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 11:57:22 pm »
Thank you for checking in, Harlan. I think people here are simply concerned for Hoop's well being, and that is why these questions are being asked. Not only is Hoop the current owner of the website, but prior to that he was a treasured and respected member here whose experience and knowledge of Winter camping and all things related was highly valued. My take is, people just want to make sure that his silence is not because he is suffering from a serious health condition, or something else that might prevent him from contributing.

This ^^

And Robinhood, thank you for updating us all on HOOP's absence. I wish him well and hope to see him posting and sharing his adventures here soon!

p.s. hey Harlan, ya rascal.. 8)