View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Lost camera solo, March 2019  (Read 274 times)

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Lost camera solo, March 2019
« on: May 07, 2019, 04:50:02 pm »
Went on a 3 night solo trip back in early March. I waited until now to post, but I have a good reason for that. While skiing with my pulk back to the pickup point, I fell going down a hill. The snow was so deep that it was very difficult to get up, and I ended up swimming in powder for a while. When I got back to the car, I realized that I had lost my camera from my jacket pocket. I knew exactly where that had happened, but it was too late to go back at that point. I did go back a couple of days later, but by that time it had snowed and I couldn’t find it. Finally, this past weekend, most of the snow had melted and I hiked back in. Found the camera!. After two months in the snowpack, it still works and now I have the photos.

The trip went into a nearby “non-operating” provincial park, which means the park has no office, facilities and in this case, hardly anyone goes there. The area is on a plateau which meant a rather hard drag up. Once up however it is very nice with lots of creeks, swamps and small lakes.

Lots of snow this year. I skied in using skinny skins on my skis, and also brought snowshoes. Although there was lots of snow, there was a crust not too far down so the going was not too hard. Made it to my planned campsite in time to stamp out a tent platform, then eat lunch and get some wood while it firmed up.

This trip I tried a slight variation on my setup. I dug out the front leaving a sleeping and sitting platform at the back, and suspended the Chimpac stove on a pole across the footwell. This worked so well and was warmer and much more comfortable than my typical flat platform setup. It was so nice to sit on the edge of the platform with the stove so close and conveniently placed. Easy to do in a tent this small.

The weather was OK, sunny but rather cold and windy. After setting up I spent my days on day trips around the park, seeing no one, not even any other human tracks. It is a beautiful area, mostly deciduous forest so quite open and easy to travel.

All in all it was a great, relaxing trip. Had fun just sitting in the tent, stoking the stove, maybe having a little vape. Looking forward to getting out again when the snow flies.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Lost camera solo, March 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 08:42:16 pm »
Nice report. Looking at your tent and wondering if it is a Eureka Alpine Meadows? I had a six man Alpine Meadows years ago and really liked that tent. Had to leave a deer camp one year in a hurry because of a family emergency and could not take the tent with me. Took it down and stashed it under some balsams. When I came back a week later, it had been stolen, along with some other gear that was also left behind. Wound up replacing it with a big Cabelas geodesic dome, that was larger and heavier. It was a car camping/canoe camping rig that I eventually sold to buy a Snowtrekker. Never looked back.

Lucky you found your camera and it still works. I have fallen in powder on snowshoes, and felt like a turtle on its back. Sometimes people can't get back up, and they wind up dead.

Nice that you found some peace and quiet, away from the crowds. Harder to do these days.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Re: Lost camera solo, March 2019
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 08:31:30 am »
Yes, it is an Alpine Meadows 4-person, 33 years old now. I converted it to winter use a few years back by cutting out the floor and adding chimney ports through the tent and fly. For winter use it is the right size for 1 or at most 2 people. In practice I have used it only for solo trips. Really a great tent that has seen a lot of use.

I had a couple of falls on this trip, and there were moments when I wondered if I would be able to get up! Because of the crust about 30 cm down, I stayed up most of the time, but a few times it broke and it was like falling through the ice on a lake! So much snow...

Kinguq.