View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter is Coming  (Read 844 times)

Offline Stormy Kromer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
Winter is Coming
« on: October 04, 2019, 11:28:46 am »
Hello Gang,

Things have been awfully quiet in here.  Time to get this rolling again! 

HOOP, I hope things are well.  Harlan, good luck on your new adventures.

Have you been gearing up for the colder weather?  Over the summer I built a new sled and am finishing up a wooden grub box with folding side tables for a nice kitchen space and I picked up a new brass fold down lantern.  What’s new with all of you? 

Cheers!
SK

Offline troutfisher!

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Winter is Coming
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 11:54:45 am »
Just got a package delivered yesterday... false bottom for my stove.  Getting eager for some winter trips!

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 12:23:21 pm »
Just begun looking at gear and sorting through clothing.

I have volunteered to run a session on "wood stove safety" at the Minnesota WCS. Had better come up with something to say! Thinking that I'll mostly be talking about heat shields etc.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 06:19:59 pm »
(( STORMY K....)))    Could you share your source for the fold down brass lantern?   I just saw one online with a mica (?) window but wasn't sure if it was worth the money or not. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:36:58 pm by southcove »

Offline Stormy Kromer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 12:14:13 am »
I first saw the lantern in a Youtube video.  A quick internet search lead me to Garett Wade in the US.

It is a small, impractical, finicky, clumsy lantern.  It emits a weak and feeble amount of light but it is made of brass and mica in a thick leather case with stunning stitching.  It is beautiful and harkens back to a time more than a century passed.  I love it, I will bring it with me but I will also pack all my usual solar powered LED light systems.

https://www.garrettwade.com/portable-brass-candle-lantern-gp.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUK_pdnbHpE&feature=share

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 07:41:53 am »
I first saw the lantern in a Youtube video.  A quick internet search lead me to Garett Wade in the US.

It is a small, impractical, finicky, clumsy lantern.  It emits a weak and feeble amount of light but it is made of brass and mica in a thick leather case with stunning stitching.  It is beautiful and harkens back to a time more than a century passed.  I love it, I will bring it with me but I will also pack all my usual solar powered LED light systems.

https://www.garrettwade.com/portable-brass-candle-lantern-gp.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUK_pdnbHpE&feature=share

Thanks for the comeback.   And Garrett is exactly where I was looking at it, but managed to not follow through on all their recent promotions and sales to see if I could get it discounted.   I am also using Goal Zero corded mini LED lights w a small Li-ion battery pack, with a separate small folding solar panel option for a slow recharge, weather permitting.

Offline Stormy Kromer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 08:51:00 am »
I use the LUCI light.  It’s small, light, compact and kicks off lots of light. If it needs a charge, I simply hang from a south facing tree branch during the day while I’m out and about.  Even on a cloudy day it’s fully charged come sundown.

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 09:40:04 am »
I have already had one of the hot tents out on a few Fall fishing trips. Burning wood! Building sleds, organizing, dreaming of snow and sub z temps!

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 02:35:32 pm »
(( STORMY K....)))    Could you share your source for the fold down brass lantern?   I just saw one online with a mica (?) window but wasn't sure if it was worth the money or not.
Those fold down's look very nice, I'm a little too cheap to dish out that much.  For the last few years I've been very happy using home made lanterns made from old olive oil cans.  The shiny inside helps reflect/direct the light.  Especially great with 2-3 candles going at once.  They don't fold, but I fill the base with extra candles and stuff it into my stove for transport.  Have made several different sizes.  If you don't go through  lot of olive oil like me, there are many other cans that would work.

https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=3698.msg32662#msg32662

Offline Stormy Kromer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 04:07:21 pm »
The fold down brass lamp was a pure joy luxury purchase for myself.  I don’t know how practical they’ll be on a dark winter night but damn if they don’t look so pretty!!

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 05:28:25 pm »
Just got back from 2 weeks in my Snowtrekker and an Ontario moose hunt. Used my stove a few nights.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline southcove

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 11:07:47 pm »
I use the LUCI light.  It’s small, light, compact and kicks off lots of light. If it needs a charge, I simply hang from a south facing tree branch during the day while I’m out and about.  Even on a cloudy day it’s fully charged come sundown.

Thanks for that information.  I am a bit of a flashlight and lantern nut, but I like the sound of your experiences with the LUCI's... I have seen them in the big supply stores. 

I hear you about that fold down lantern, I bought my wife one of GW's ships lanterns last holidays...it is a stunning addition to our mantel.

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 01:14:42 am »
I'm itchin for some Fall hot tent time....just need to wrap up Oct and then I get time to do it
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 08:24:04 pm »
Just got back from 2 weeks in my Snowtrekker and an Ontario moose hunt. Used my stove a few nights.
Get one? 

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 12:17:07 am »
We got about 10cm of snow over night and today, it will all melt but for now it is pretty!! We are planning a short trip next weekend, basecamp style probably, hunting small games! maybe some fishing...
 Used the snow trekker a few times already, canoe moose hunt in september and overnighter small game hunt september as well. Both quite successful!