View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Calgary Rendez-Vous  (Read 3129 times)

Online Stormy Kromer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
Calgary Rendez-Vous
« on: October 28, 2019, 02:43:00 pm »
Hello all you Western Winter Wanderers,

After reading about all those eastern symposiums, gatherings, workshops and meet-ups I’ve begun to feel left out.  Just how many of us are from Alberta?  I’m from Calgary.  Is there anyone else in Calgary or close by?  Perhaps we can organize a gathering of our collective camping wisdom?  Perhaps in a pub?  With beer? Anyone? Anyone?

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Calgary Rendez-Vous
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 03:05:16 pm »
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Online Stormy Kromer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 03:32:01 pm »
Ask and ye shall receive! 

Thank you BV!  I am registering for this today!

Online Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 03:49:51 pm »
The organisers were at the WCS and were advertising he event there.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Online Stormy Kromer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 04:09:19 pm »
Please note:

Signing up for this event does NOT keep me from wanting to get together to drink beer and talk camping with anyone!

Offline Grey Owl

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • Frostbite Symposium on Traditional Winter Camping
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 04:22:13 pm »
Big thank you to the folks that mentioned Frostbite Symposium.  As a member of the Board, I might be a little biased, but this event is the best winter camping gathering in Western Canada.  Pretty safe statement, as I think we are the only one west of Ontario.

We meet on the first full weekend of January each year at Foothills Camp near Bowden, Alberta.  The venue has camping onsite, in addition to cabins and Lodge rooms available for rent.  This year there are 40+ workshops available from nearly 30 different volunteer instructors from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia.

If you folks are interested in joining us, registration is open and the event is 84% sold out.

www.frostbitesymposium.com 

We owe a big debt of inspiration to the organizers of the Winter Camping Symposium down in Minnesota.  They have provided advice and support Frostbite for 6 years now.  They have led the way, and we appreciate their inspiration.

Offline AB_Winter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 01:31:32 pm »
I'm in Grande Prairie and seriously considering attending.

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 02:23:36 pm »
I live near Champion,AB 1.5 hours south Calgary. One mile west of highway 23 on highway 529
Visit me anytime to exchange shelter ideas or get a homemade tin can stove and tarp.
I will try find out the dates of Alberta outdoor rendezvous and attend them.
Arlen,  403 897 3829 cell 403 382 8112

Offline Goski

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 02:47:15 pm »
Hi Everybody,
I am from Edmonton, or say, part time Edmonton and part time Lodgepole.  Unfortunately, first weekend of January I'll be at work.  But good to know that there are a few of us in the West too.  Always interested in some few days ski + camp on both sides of the Rockies.

Offline Grey Owl

• View Profile
    • Frostbite Symposium on Traditional Winter Camping
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 12:48:49 pm »
Frostbite! Symposium is now fully booked.  There are a few names on the waiting list, hoping for the inevitable cancellation or two that will come through.  For those that weren't able to join, there are some other options out there.

JMAC is hosting a Winter Campout near Cold Lake, 2-5 January 2020.  JMAC is a first rate person, and has participated in Frostbite for the past 5 years.  This year he decided to go hang out in the woods with a smaller group.  Check his event out here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2655297331175660/ 

Looking forward to meeting more of you folks, either at Frostbite, or on the winter trail.

Online Stormy Kromer

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 12:01:48 pm »
Heading out to Frostbite this morning!  Three days of training, learning, camping and fun.  This is my first time at the symposium. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of like minded winter folk.

Cheers,
Stormy Kromer