View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Need a larger Snowtrekker tent?  (Read 12498 times)

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Need a larger Snowtrekker tent?
« on: November 20, 2019, 08:24:42 am »
We have a 2004  8 X 11 Snowtrekker expedition tent suitable for 3 -4 folks. Also has a custom made plastic fly made by Snowtrekker.  Some cosmetic damage in the perhaps  25 days we have used it over the years.  One small patched tear in the corner.  Anyone interested in trading their smaller (and lighter) Snowtrekker?  I suspect this is a long shot but you never know.

Offline Getoffthepaved36

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Need a larger Snowtrekker tent?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 07:34:46 pm »
If you like to sell to purchase the tent you seek I'd like to make a deal. 

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 03:16:39 pm »
Perhaps.   I am in communication with Snowtrekker to see if any of their smaller tents even works for two people.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 04:27:47 pm »
Two folk in an 8 by 8 is perfectly fine.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 02:22:22 pm »
Two folk in an 8 by 8 is perfectly fine.

That would be rather tight for two with a wood stove in there and some gear.  That's only 64 square feet. 

SnowTrekker did sell a Minimalist model at one point.  Great for 1 person and stove.  I believe Wawhiker on Youtube had one and did a few videos on it.

Cheers

Brian

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 03:09:09 pm »
So you and BV disagree.  If I think of our minimalist sleeping footprint it is 4' x  6'  in the upper  right quarter of an 8 x 8 space, leaving  a 4 x 8 space on the left side of the tent for stove and gear.  Not sure if there would be space for a well in front of the stove like we have in our 8 x 11 Snowtrekker.   All this trouble for a weight reduction from 23 to 16 lbs.  and $900 to boot.

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 04:45:49 pm »
So you and BV disagree.  If I think of our minimalist sleeping footprint it is 4' x  6'  in the upper  right quarter of an 8 x 8 space, leaving  a 4 x 8 space on the left side of the tent for stove and gear.  Not sure if there would be space for a well in front of the stove like we have in our 8 x 11 Snowtrekker.   All this trouble for a weight reduction from 23 to 16 lbs.  and $900 to boot.

Yardsale

There is a Snowtrekker Minimalist listed for sale in the Classified section.  No word in the thread if it sold or not.  You could always inquire by sending the poster a private message.

https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=5032.0

Cheers

Brian

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 05:02:41 pm »
Undersky and his better half were sharing his 8 by 8 home sewn tent a couple of weekends ago. They stacked mats and sleeping gear during the day to make more room. It was big enough for 4 of us plus our dog to sit around and chat over dinner as well.

He had the stove in a well dug across the front of the tent.

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 05:08:29 pm »
I dunno, I never downsize, but have upsized, I don't think there is ever enough room.  Does a few pounds really make a difference when creature comforts are involved?  I find my 9 x 11.5 big enough for two, and perfect as a solo.  Lots of room to add a folding chair, couple of boxes, firewood.  For me, roughing it would be two people in an 8 x 8.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 05:40:58 pm »
we have the 9x11.5 and sleep 3 in there all the time and it is totally fine. our summer tent is a 7x7 campfire tent and again 3 people no problems, but no stove in that one hahaha I think 8x8 would be fine for 2 people and you could cramp 3 in there with the stove but you would have to be careful!!

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 05:58:48 pm »
I enjoyed our visit a la 8x8 hot tent, BV.

Just to add a little perspective, Dave Freeman and his partner with Wilderness Classroom.com, traveled for 5 weeks, hot tenting every night and hauling every day, using a 6.5 x 6.5 ft single-pole 4-sided pyramid. One of Dave's comments about size was that even when they had only poor quality wood it was easy to get the small tent as hot as a sauna. Coming down Lake Wpg. during the last 8 days of their trip from Cumberland House SK. to Winnipeg they shared the same tent with a WC Board member! 3 people and a stove in 42 1/4 square feet is definitely squishy!

The 8x8 Shackleton tent design BV mentioned has 26 inch side walls, a 7ft center pole and a 6 ft pole holding the door peak. The relatively tall profile adds to the feeling of usable space without increasing the footprint at all, or the weight by much.

Thinking about space and experiencing space is such a personal thing!

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 01:30:35 am »
I enjoyed our visit a la 8x8 hot tent, BV.

Just to add a little perspective, Dave Freeman and his partner with Wilderness Classroom.com, traveled for 5 weeks, hot tenting every night and hauling every day, using a 6.5 x 6.5 ft single-pole 4-sided pyramid. One of Dave's comments about size was that even when they had only poor quality wood it was easy to get the small tent as hot as a sauna. Coming down Lake Wpg. during the last 8 days of their trip from Cumberland House SK. to Winnipeg they shared the same tent with a WC Board member! 3 people and a stove in 42 1/4 square feet is definitely squishy!

The 8x8 Shackleton tent design BV mentioned has 26 inch side walls, a 7ft center pole and a 6 ft pole holding the door peak. The relatively tall profile adds to the feeling of usable space without increasing the footprint at all, or the weight by much.

Thinking about space and experiencing space is such a personal thing!
Undersky, can we see pictures of that tent?
thank you

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 08:11:30 am »

Yardsale

There is a Snowtrekker Minimalist listed for sale in the Classified section.  No word in the thread if it sold or not.  You could always inquire by sending the poster a private message.

Thanks Brian,  It is interesting that there was lots of interest at that price point.  Posted in April so I assume it's gone.

https://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=5032.0

Cheers

Brian

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 10:59:05 am »
Hi ADN. I would have to learn how to post pictures on this site. I'll try :)

The tent design is not my design at all - I just made some adjustments to the dimensions. The tent of this design I originally used was made of heavier cotton and weighed in at 18 lbs. We made this one out of 4.5oz cotton and went a little larger on the footprint, taller on the door height and peak height, and taller on the side-walls. No fly, just treated the roof panels with Nikwax or the like, but not the walls or doors. This version weighs just under 9 lbs and heats easier than the small Snowtrekker because there is less air volume inside.

Now I guess I need to learn how to post photos!

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:54:53 am by Undersky »

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 12:13:37 pm »
Been trying to post one from my Flickr account via my iPad but doesn’t seem to work.

Here is the URL

https://flic.kr/p/2hPErJU