View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: "Travel" clothing v.s. "Camp" clothing  (Read 561 times)

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
"Travel" clothing v.s. "Camp" clothing
« on: December 04, 2019, 05:49:34 pm »
For winter travel i'm usually on my Atomic TM 22 Telemark skis with climbing skins. I'm carrying a 75 Liter Deuter Air Contact pack so I need "travel clothing" that:
1. vents well
2. has synthetic insulation that can dry well after removal

PARKA-> old EMS Gore-Tex mountain parka with pit zips and interior snow skirt
INSULATING LAYER-> Thermolite insulated jacket and pants (pants worn under TNF Gore-Tex ski pants W/zippered thigh vents)

CAMP CLOTHING:
PARKA-> Eddie Bauer -30 F. PEAK XV down expedition parka
PANTS-> Same as for travel

This is about the lightest combo I have found that truly keeps me warm in both conditions. Usually the synthetic layer lays beneath my winter air mattress for added insulation/dual use so I don't have to carry a Ridge Rest pad. But If I suspect temps in my tent may get to -15 F. or lower I'll bring the pad in case I need to don my synthetic travel layer.
Also I can zip up my down parka and put it over the foot of my sleeping bag for, again, dual use and for keeping my bag's foot warmth from melting frost off the tent wall and into my bag. Seems I always, but always get the foot of my bag against the tent wall sometime in the night.

Eric B.

P.S. I'll add that I'm creating a lot of sweat when back country skiing in my mountains above 8,000 feet because the air is thin and the trails are steep. Climbing skins are worn at all times, both uphill and down.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 02:36:26 am by 300winmag »

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: "Travel" clothing v.s. "Camp" clothing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 07:46:38 pm »
Different country and conditions but I have become a recent convert to shelled PolarTec ALPHA.
It's comfortable against bare skin if my baselayer is a singlet or T-shirt and the lower comfort limit can be increased by utilising different weights of baselayers and/or close fitting windshirt under it.
Mine from Macpac is a direct copy of the OR Ascendant and has become my Go-To active layer
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/clothing-mens/insulated-jacket/outdoor-research-ascendant-hoody
It is more versatile then the Patagonia Gridfleece ninja top which only now comes out when it is REALLY cold

Camp clothing is shelled synthetic or down naturally enough and at the moment very little woollen in my winter wardrobe due to the damp Australian snow

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 09:59:41 pm »
I love my wool 24/7 when out... for me far far better than syn's
Cotton as a outer layer/wind barrier
Down should that extra warmth ever be needed

Love that we all have lots of choice so everyone has no excuse to find what works best for themselves and their specific climate
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 10:41:02 am »
light merino wool and or synthetic... Or a mix of both!! If I'm gonna sweat a lot I prefer synthetic cause I found the wool to keep the moisture in and not pushing it out like synthetic do so I tent to get colder when I stop!
I use wool over my base layer and then canvas-cotton- wind breaker over that. I modified an old pair of over sized woolrich wool pants that I installed full side zippers on each legs and padded knee patches!! they are my go too camp pants from september to may!!
Usually have a down jct for around camp or lunch break, "down" booties for in the tent!

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 08:50:19 am »
Down booties and one wool shirt I wear as an outer layer in case I get too close to the stove.  Other than that it is just various layers I would wear in the field.