View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Checking Your Stove Pipe  (Read 812 times)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Checking Your Stove Pipe
« on: January 06, 2020, 10:58:58 am »
Out on a short trip at the weekend. We had the stove set up and humming away nicely when we spotted something wrong with the elbow; pinpricks of bright orange against the grey metal background.

The pipe had rusted through from the inside.

We debated the best course of action, finally concluding that it felt strong still so best to leave be and monitor.

The holes definitely enlarged over the two nights and we were glad that we didn't have a longer trip planned.

Once we had the stove down we checked the elbow, expecting it to feel frail, but it was still solid so likely no chance of collapse, but we had been a bit worried and discussed what we would do to get the stove out the door in a hurry.

Time for a new elbow perhaps!
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Online AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Checking Your Stove Pipe
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 11:23:27 am »
Nice one!! on a longer trip if you have some handy is tin foil/aluminum foil(we always have some in the cooking box) you could wrap some around the elbow... I would be happy to be able to set up my stove in tent w/o an elbow, or find one made out of SS or Ti...

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 12:18:32 pm »
The elbow is the weak link. It takes up space, but I always carry a spare.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 01:26:08 pm »
For some perspective, I think this one was at least 20 years old  so not too bad.

On my own set up I have arranged it so that the elbow is never right up against the stove so maybe that will ensure longevity.

Anyone else had an elbow fail?

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 08:53:02 am »

My elbow is after the first section of pipe and is outside the tent so it's been relatively safe.  However last year the first section with the damper failed, it fatigued and became so brittle that when I was knocking the creosote out prior to loading up it shattered somewhat.

the issue I have with the elbow is it no longer swivels, even after banging out the creosote. Not too much of an issue as I can still stuff it in the stove.

Winter still suckie here in the Stratford area, a couple inches (50mm) and that'll be gone again this weekend.
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 12:53:30 pm »
My elbow joint is about 7 years old and is still ok, other than getting very hard to swivel sometimes.  I always have my elbow as the first section in the stove.  A little wd40 once in a while loosens it up ok.  If I have to replace it every 10 years or so, that’s a maintenance plan I can live with. 

One thing I haven’t thought ahead about - are these joints standard size, as in I can get a replacement at the hardware store or Home Depot, or are they custom and only available from Snowtrekkertents or Kni-Co?

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 01:09:55 pm »
I think they are standard size.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 02:23:34 pm »
They are available in 26g and 30g. The 30 is much more commonly available but I would go with 26 for durability and less likely to be squashed.

Offline Wilderwes

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 03:06:59 pm »
My elbow joint is about 7 years old and is still ok, other than getting very hard to swivel sometimes.  I always have my elbow as the first section in the stove.  A little wd40 once in a while loosens it up ok.  If I have to replace it every 10 years or so, that’s a maintenance plan I can live with. 

One thing I haven’t thought ahead about - are these joints standard size, as in I can get a replacement at the hardware store or Home Depot, or are they custom and only available from Snowtrekkertents or Kni-Co?

My Kni-co stove came from Canadian Outdoor Equipment who sell pyramid tents so no elbow piece was included at the time I purchased it (I see they now sell pyramid tents that have the stove jack set-up on the side wall). I found a 5" 26ga elbow at Home Depot and that was the only place I could find that guage - everywhere else I looked had only the 30ga.

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 08:51:27 pm »
Yup, had an elbow fail on testing before a trip once. It was very old and separated at a joint. Glad I decided to give it a twist before the trip.

Offline troutfisher!

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 09:44:00 pm »
I had an elbow joint separate one evening while I was enjoying a nice fire.  Suddenly I had flames shooting out the elbow inside the tent.  For some reason, I had anticipated a problem so I wasn't totally surprised.  I quickly slipped on my gloves and carried the stove out the door.  No damage to the tent!!  The replacement elbow is much heavier gauge.

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 08:52:30 am »
I use graphite from a spray can for my joints ( the pipe, not my elbow). I find it lasts for an entire season when WD40 burns off after 1-2 uses. I have 10 year old elbows that still swivel after 10 or more years.
I also carry a small roll of muffler tape in case of pinholes or joint separation.

Offline Jawax

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 09:52:54 am »
I use graphite from a spray can for my joints ( the pipe, not my elbow). I find it lasts for an entire season when WD40 burns off after 1-2 uses. I have 10 year old elbows that still swivel after 10 or more years.
I also carry a small roll of muffler tape in case of pinholes or joint separation.
Two great ideas!  I think I'll try the graphite spray.

Offline troutfisher!

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 11:16:36 am »
I need to rummage around and find that graphite spray.  Thanks for a great idea!

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 04:41:12 pm »
I need to rummage around and find that graphite spray.  Thanks for a great idea!
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/jig-a-loo-graphite-extreme-lubricant-311-g-0381502p.html