View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: OAC bindings and fat boots  (Read 144 times)

Offline Teepee

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
OAC bindings and fat boots
« on: January 16, 2020, 06:53:55 am »
Hi all.  :)

It's been a while since I logged in, hope your having a good winter. :)

Does anyone on here know if the OAC universal binding will take a pair of big 14 US Baffins?https://www.skinbased.com/product-page/oac-ea-binding
Is there a better binding to mount to use big normal winter boots in?

I quite fancy a pair of OAC 160's for the upcoming hauling trip in Sweden https://www.skinbased.com/product-page/oac-xcd-gt-160
Pete. :)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: OAC bindings and fat boots
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 08:55:16 am »
How long are your Baffins? Says the binding fits up to 38cm long though the other issue may be length of the ankle strap.

There are only four universal bindings that I’m aware of; the OAC, two from Altai and the Berwin. The Berwin is the cheapest and would more than likely fit but is certainly the least sophisticated and has a different hole pattern so you’d need to re-drill or use an adaptor plate like they sell for the Hoks.

I’m just dipping a toe into this particular pool so maybe others have more experience
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Teepee

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:51:26 am »
Hi BV. :)

I don't have the boots with me currently (Baffin Doug Stoups) , will measure them when I get back to them in a few days. I'll measure the Stegers too.

My Polish Lemigo pac wellies (13 US) are 35cm, it's going to be tight.

The straps appear to be easily extendable, it's the heel cup that is the issue.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 10:43:29 am »
You might consider these: Pricey but well made. I have 2 pairs of the Plateau.

https://icetrek.com/shop/flexi-ski-bindings

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:34:32 am »
How long are your Baffins? Says the binding fits up to 38cm long though the other issue may be length of the ankle strap.

There are only four universal bindings that I’m aware of; the OAC, two from Altai and the Berwin. The Berwin is the cheapest and would more than likely fit but is certainly the least sophisticated and has a different hole pattern so you’d need to re-drill or use an adaptor plate like they sell for the Hoks.

I’m just dipping a toe into this particular pool so maybe others have more experience

I use to sell berwin bindings, I always wanted a pair for my self and they fit to about a size 12US unless they changed things. The Altai and the OAC look really similar and I think they would fit length wise, but like BV said maybe not the ankle straps and the other possible issue would be the width at the toe.
I think the Plateau suggested by  Bioguide is your best option!

Offline Teepee

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 05:09:41 pm »
Thanks. :)

The Icetrek plateau's look just the ticket, unfortunately out of stock currently. TBH, they don't look hard to make a set. I've got some 6mm in and the straps look pretty straightforward.

I just got my Baffins measured;  37cm sole length, 27cm across the toe.

Online walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 11:00:49 am »
If you're thinking custom bindings, how about something from this line up? Just mount them on a flex plate and go. 
I have the GV ratcheting bindings on my snowshoes and love them.  Quick in/out and they've been rock solid performers in some pretty cold temps over the last few years.  They get their share of abuse our in the bush everytime I'm out ;D

https://www.gvsnowshoes.com/en/accessories