View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Family Day at Mew Lk. Algonquin  (Read 188 times)

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
Family Day at Mew Lk. Algonquin
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:04:00 am »

Just wondering if there'll to be any wintertrekkers going to the Family Day festivities this weekend.  I was on the Algonquin website but there was no mention of winter camping demos. 

I suggested this to someone I met a few weeks ago as a good intro to winter camping, if nothing is planned it'd be good to know.

I'm hoping to head up there next week for 4 / 5 sleeps, with the dog (in harness), he'll either help pull or the sled will become 70 lbs. heavier, yikes ! 

Ken
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline Hack

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Family Day at Mew Lk. Algonquin
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 07:52:45 pm »
I was wondering the same thing. I haven't been around the forum in a looooong time and was surprised when I didn't see a thread about this. We are hoping to be there with our minivancamper.

I think there are some activities planned:

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/winter_in_the_wild.php

Although if no one here is posting about attending I am not sure who will be giving the demonstration on Saturday afternoon. Maybe someone will chime in.

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 10:15:20 am »
It will be the usual suspects attending and showing the tents.

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 08:09:07 am »

Thanks, I will suggest this to my friend.

On Monday morning I'll be having steak & eggs at the Moose Cafe in Dwight, then I'll wave as I go by on the way to the Sunday Lk. Dogsled trail.

Checked the weather network this morning for Dwight, this week will be fine (read good enough) the following week if you believe the long range, is for above freezing.

The last time in Algonquin (two years ago, didn't make it out last year) it was sustained -20's with a -35* on Christmas morning.  "The times they are a changin'".

Have a good weekend everyone.

Ken
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....