View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Crimping Roll Up Pipe?  (Read 549 times)

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Crimping Roll Up Pipe?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 08:30:53 am »
you can still make the short section with a damper. Mine is about 10"x 3" has a damper, and is made of 24ga rolled and welded stainless. it was definitely harder to crimp, but still doable. And after burning out two plain steel adapters previously, I'm confident the stainless will take the heat for years.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Crimping Roll Up Pipe?
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 11:15:03 am »

Read the original post again. The issue was mating a roll-up pipe to a stove built to take a conventional pipe that would have a crimped connection.
I DID read the post! >:(
and you can crimp roll up pipe too, you just need to assemble it and crimp as much of the edge as needed, same as the new roll up ductwork
[/quote]
Sorry, it just didn't come across that way. If you think it will work without causing a weak spot/ cracking later down the road it would be great just to add a crimp to the bottom of the rolled section. I think I have enough to cut that bit off it doesn't work. I do still like the idea of having a short (the stove is only 11" long inside) piece with a damper and screen.
[/quote]

Crimping regular tin is fine for sure but look like crimping Titanium might not be that fine!!

"BV, I crimped the end of a roll-up Ti pipe for exactly the same reason: my rolled pipe would not nest inside the stove-top pipe opening. It was unsuccessful. Here's why:

1. The crimped portion no longer rolled-up with the rest of the pipe.
2. I accidentally created a stress riser at the pipe-end of the crimped portion - this would have been a failure point had I continued using it.
3. The internal supporting ring/band no longer fit inside, and without that band in place the crimped pipe end would work its way deeper and deeper into the stove over time, especially if a breeze moved it.
4. It was difficult to get the spark arrester to sit tight inside the pipe near the stove.
5. It was difficult to install the pipe damper.

After these problems showed up, I got rid of the crimped end, drilled new holes for positioning the damper, and made a short tapered collar out of a small section of thicker gauge 3" crimped Ti pipe (from 4-dog)."