View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: What has Happened to Participation on This Site?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: What has Happened to Participation on This Site?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 03:54:50 pm »
I hope that things work out for HOOP, I do know what turmoils can happen in life.

Offline Gitchiegoomie

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 07:39:39 pm »
I was in some Yahoo Groups 20 years ago. They were popular for many years and now hardly any activity. Facebook makes it so much easier

Offline genzer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2020, 06:30:02 pm »
There's a few that keep it going, hate to see it wane, lots of info here . I don't have a lot to add but I I'm on quite a bit always learning.

Offline walknabout

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 10:01:46 am »
As someone had mentioned above...it takes a village....
so let's keep the candle lit and not let this incredible resource / community go dark :(

Offline Wilderwes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 10:50:21 am »
I don't know HOOP personally, but I recognized him while out on a nordic ski trail a few weeks ago and had a pleasant chat with him while he changed his ski wax. He appreciated the recognition from a fan. I told him how much I appreciated the site and his Youtube channel for educating me about hot tenting best practices. He then volunteered that his back has been an issue (like others have shared) and so he hasn't been tripping and also said he's just plain burnt-out from social media (which I can totally understand). He said he hasn't been on the site in awhile, but is hoping to give it more attention upon retirement from his day job. I did not press for any further information or timelines out of respect for his privacy.

I do sort of feel like there's so much information on this site and forum and I can find the answers to questions I have in already-existing threads rather than creating a new one. More trip reports and photos would be nice to see here, but it seems that other, more modern, user friendly applications like Instagram and Facebook have become the preferred place to post such things - especially for the younger demographic. I am in my late thirties, but I get the impression that I am on the younger end of the age spectrum of users of this site.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 04:18:00 pm »
"I am in my late thirties, but I get the impression that I am on the younger end of the age spectrum of users of this site."

I think you are, too.  I turn 65 next month.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 08:12:37 am »
I feel like a picture is worth a thousand words, and it's a huge pain to post them here.

Plus I feel like personally I just want to do my thing, and simply have little desire to talk about stuff anymore. I still stop in and read stuff, but am a bit disillusioned with online stuff in general. I have been winter camping and teaching winter camping for a long time and will share my opinion, but especially on FB groups I could not care less to have someone tell me why I shouldn't burn all night, or why digging down to dirt is the best method.

I'll never stop coming here, just wish posting pics was easier
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 12:34:05 am »
I feel like a picture is worth a thousand words, and it's a huge pain to post them here.

Plus I feel like personally I just want to do my thing, and simply have little desire to talk about stuff anymore. I still stop in and read stuff, but am a bit disillusioned with online stuff in general. I have been winter camping and teaching winter camping for a long time and will share my opinion, but especially on FB groups I could not care less to have someone tell me why I shouldn't burn all night, or why digging down to dirt is the best method.

I'll never stop coming here, just wish posting pics was easier

Yes Facebook has a lot of " I know better than you " type people.... I like it here too and I agree that picture posting is a pain indeed!!

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 02:35:41 am »
I'll keep coming and I'll keep posting
It's my substitute for a real life just at the moment

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 07:33:40 am »
same Here, Hutchy! been winter camping for over 50 years (I started as a cub) taught it and other skills for over 20 of them, lived in a tent for two years, and even used to do demos. It gets discouraging fast when some snot- nosed kid younger than your own tries to tell you that you're an "amateur"

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 01:56:10 pm »
same Here, Hutchy! been winter camping for over 50 years (I started as a cub) taught it and other skills for over 20 of them, lived in a tent for two years, and even used to do demos. It gets discouraging fast when some snot- nosed kid younger than your own tries to tell you that you're an "amateur"
I've been at it for well over 30 years and I consider my self an amateur, I do woodworking and carpentry for a living and I consider my self an amateur, I thought ww paddling and swift water rescue for 10 years and I consider my self an amateur. There is nothing wrong in being an amateur, the problem is everyone calling them self "pro's"!! Back home taxi drivers use to say they know how to drive cause they spend so much time on the road... Not because you've done something one way or an other for a long time that it is the right way to do it!! That being said, people need to sit back and listen more, need to be humble, share there experiences with out telling people how to do things! If something work for some one the same might not work for an other.