View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: covid-19 ... what is your response?  (Read 368 times)

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
covid-19 ... what is your response?
« on: March 16, 2020, 11:29:40 am »
Wow! What changes we are experiencing in our societies over this last week or so! And much more to come, no doubt!

One of the aspects of normal life that some of us will be missing soon is face-to-face contact with lots of other people.

These excellent winter hot tent camping forums are an excellent partial mitigation against this covid-19 societal isolation. It won't be face-to-face (You wouldn't want that with me, anyway!! ;) ), but it will be a genuine form of human contact and sharing.

I, for one, will be trying harder to contribute through WinterTrekking.com more often over the coming weeks.

What will your response be?

Offline Boatman53

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: covid-19 ... what is your response?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 04:47:44 pm »
I agree Undersky. I’ve been wanting to sew up an anorak for a while now. Still a lot on my to do list but it will move to the top quickly I hope.
Jim

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 05:47:29 pm »
Right on B53!

I too have a list of smaller sewing jobs - some repairs, some add-ons - that I hope to accomplish over the next month.

None of mine are as significant as your anorak though! You'll really have something new to use and enjoy.

Maybe consider keeping us posted on how the project unfolds, if you could?

Dean

PS Being out is the bush wearing a new DIY anorak may be the best quarantine ever!  :)

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 06:23:28 pm »
I just got back from a 2 night solo- social distancing.

Kinguq.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 07:03:57 pm »
With all this potential time on my hands it would be a great time for folk to place an order for next year’s gear or maybe something for the soft water season. Got a mountain of fabric just yearning to be turned into something useful.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline K.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 08:38:15 pm »
With all the closures, I will admit to checking up on my local provincial park. They do have some closures... but the permit office is open and the backcountry is available for camping.  Hoping to cash one last trip this weekend.

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 11:08:46 am »
Yes! One more trip before the snow liquefies!

We had a 5 day trip with a buddy planned, starting Sunday, but with travel restrictions he is not coming from 2 provinces away. I respect his decision.

The weather in Manitoba is a little colder than average temps, so the invitation to head to the bush is right there!

I will be heading out, sans buddy, for some peace and rejuvenation next week, and I'll try to do a trip report with pics. Maybe BV will help?!

Offline K.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 06:11:04 pm »
An unusually cool March weekend on the way, and as of today the parks are closed. I could go find some equivalent crown land, but my stash of firewood that makes the quick trip easy is in the park. Well plan B is getting out on my summer-time trails to see what needs fixing.  The local trails aren't particularly open yet due to soft tread conditions. But by now they're just about the only thing that isn't explicitly closed.

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 02:43:11 am »
Housework There's not much else you can do when the country is starting to go into total lockdown. Maybe a few clothing projects that have been on the back burner for far too long. maybe that tent that needs a stove jack? Lots of little stuff as my beloved still has a job and can work from home so we have an actual income, unlike half the country.