View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Escaping the Corona up with Gunflint Trail  (Read 76 times)

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
Escaping the Corona up with Gunflint Trail
« on: March 26, 2020, 04:28:36 pm »
We left East Central MN about 2AM on March 13th. There was a dusting of snow on the roads for most of the trip so we took it pretty slow as we didn't want anything to prevent our trip. Once we made it to Grand Marais we made a quick stop at the Holiday and then headed up the gunflint trail. The road was again snow covered and a bit slick in spots so we took our time and made it our entry point shortly after 7AM.
The lake had a solid crust and you could walk right on top so we made good time to our camping spot. We found a nice bay with good wind protection which was important because the wind was gusting pretty good. I always feel the advantage of camping in the winter is you can get far away from campsites and it makes finding good firewood easier. We had camp set up and a good 2 days worth of firewood stocked up by 2PM. We then turned out attached to some fishing and were able to ice a couple smaller lake trout. We were both tired from the long day and called it an early night. The wind continued through the night and we figured the temps dropped down into the single digits F.
Saturday would end up being the nicest day of the trip. After breakfast we did one more run for firewood just to make sure we had enough for the next couple days. Although the fishing was very slow it was a perfect day on the lake as the temps were right around 30 with very little wind and no clouds so the sun was out and powerful. The wind did pick up a bit that evening and the sky stayed clear so the temps dropped pretty good, it possibly even got below 0.
We got up before daybreak on Sunday and had out best day fishing. We didn't catch anything huge as the largest fish was a bit over 20" but the action was steady. Fatheads on a spoon is what we caught all of our fish on. We also used frozen smelt and jigged white tubes but neither produced any fish. We headed back to camp around 4PM and started to get things in line to head out the next morning. Sunday night would be the warmest night by far as I was able to sleep without even zipping up my bag. I figured it got down to 20F or so. We woke up around 7AM Monday started the stove up for a couple hours to warm up while we packed things up. About 2" of snow had fallen overnight and it was still coming down although very lightly. We were back to our vehicle by about 10:30AM and on the road before 11.
 We got back to grand Marais around noon and enjoyed a pizza and a couple beers at My Little Sister's place. Little did we know that would be our last time eating at a bar or restaurant for a while. As is the case on most trips my only regret is I couldn't stay longer, but it was a great trip and I can't wait for the next one.

Offline troutfisher!

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Escaping the Corona up with Gunflint Trail
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 07:56:05 am »
Sounds like a great trip with good camping and fishing!  A good getaway, I'm sure.  How far up the GFT did you go?  Post photos if you can!

Offline Forse07

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Escaping the Corona up with Gunflint Trail
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 09:46:54 am »
We went in on Sea Gull lake so most of the way up. I do have a few photos, I will try to figure out how to post them when I have more time this weekend.