View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Yay! Winter Storm Watch for MN/WI!  (Read 8965 times)

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
Yay! Winter Storm Watch for MN/WI!
« on: December 06, 2009, 09:18:06 pm »
03:23 PM CST Sun-Dec-06
The Weather Service has issued a WINTER STORM WATCH
Minnesota counties
ANOKA, CARVER, CHISAGO, DAKOTA, GOODHUE, HENNEPIN, ISANTI (Where I live.), KANABEC, LE SUEUR, MCLEOD, MEEKER, NICOLLET, RAMSEY, REDWOOD, RENVILLE, RICE, SCOTT, SHERBURNE (Where I work.), SIBLEY, WASHINGTON, WRIGHT

POTENTIAL WINTER STORM TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...

.A BLIZZARD WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
WEDNESDAY FOR FAR SOUTHERN AREAS OF MINNESOTA. THE BLIZZARD WATCH
STRETCHES FROM ST. JAMES TO OWATONNA ON SOUTHWARD TO THE IOWA
BORDER.

A WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
WEDNESDAY FOR MUCH OF THE REST OF SOUTHERN MINNESOTA...ALL OF EAST
CENTRAL MINNESOTA...INCLUDING THE TWIN CITIES METROPOLITAN
AREA...AS WELL AS ALL OF WEST CENTRAL WISCONSIN.

A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER OKLAHOMA
ON TUESDAY. THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL LIFT NORTHEAST AND
INTENSIFY...REACHING THE CHICAGO AREA...BY WEDNESDAY MORNING.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE REGION ON TUESDAY AND CONTINUE
THROUGH WEDNESDAY. HEAVY SNOW IS POSSIBLE ACROSS MUCH OF SOUTHERN
AND EASTERN MINNESOTA AND WEST CENTRAL WISCONSIN FROM TUESDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

IN ADDITION...STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO FOLLOW THE
STORM TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...CAUSING CONSIDERABLE BLOWING
AND DRIFTING SNOW. AS A RESULT...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP
OVER FAR SOUTHERN MINNESOTA.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline dbell59

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Yay! Winter Storm Watch for MN/WI!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 10:13:45 pm »
You are gonna get what just went through  here. I had to dig my way off my deck yesterday. Now the temps. are going into the toilet(-30c) for most of this week, hope you don't get that as well.
" In the woods the silent watcher sees the most" Unknown author

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:54:05 pm »
Now the temps. are going into the toilet(-30c) for most of this week, hope you don't get that as well.

Oh ya we want, we want!   :)   Whuu Hoo!  That is ice making temperature!   I wanna hear the trees cracking and the ice booming!   ;)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:40:04 am »
Booo Hooo!
       HOOP, you are no longer my friend! Selfishly keeping all the good toys!
We got a 1/4" here in Sioux Falls, SD. and they brought out the plows! Its no wonder the county complains "no snow removal money left" by mid February. These people don't know snow. If my folks and in-laws didn't need me this close I'd be back in Montana. Or maybe Minnesota? My wife wants to go back to school and there is one with a good "Native Studies" class. Funny a Lakota woman taking Native Studies. We'll still get the bikes out for our mission tomorrow. I put the oils and the battery back in this morning and put on about 25 miles. Can you believe it? I got too cold to ride.
       WOOL is my base layer for the ride to the cemetary. Good thing a member works for the county as a plow driver, and he's on today. We'll miss him for the ride but appreciate why he absent.

Send me a picture HOOP. I am tired of looking at the Helena City cameras!
                                                               Van
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:29:49 am »
Hans,
Be there any means of adding St. Louis county to the list of counties getting snow?

dbell59,
I had rather be "taking the long walk" in "tailbone" freezing weather, and snowblowing my way to the privy (which we do every winter, eventually), than idling about in the 5 or 6 centimetres of snow we have currently accumulated.
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:49:30 am »
Aw, C'mon- we need a few weeks of ice skating first!

Kevin.
Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:53:16 am »
I agree- thick ice first!  Although a little on the ground keeps the temps down.

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 06:17:35 pm »
Ice and snow forcasts look great for Dec-into Jan.  Can't wait to make first tracks!
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:18:04 pm »
Hans,
Be there any means of adding St. Louis county to the list of counties getting snow?

You and Kevin can relax for now, Haggis. (You two Scotts should have fun, anyhow.) The storm is moving NE from here, up the South Shore/Chequamegon way.

We are ALL gonna get cold, though. HOO-YAH!

Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:10:28 am »
Danke,   Bitte,   Thank You  Much appreciated!
     6" of the lovely stuff and 1 degree F outside! I bundled my daughter up in her down coat and ear muffs for early choir practice (Christmas Show tomorrow). I am waiting on a phone call and my bag is packed for my first playdate in toooooo loooonnnngggg!!!!!

The solar panels are cleaned the green house glass is clear and the roof water is running into the cistern screens as we speak (so to speak!). The cheap pair of skis are going to get put to the test today.

Thank You for sharing your SNOW!
                                         Van
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole

Offline Mike

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:50:28 am »
The Milwaukee area got only the wet stuff and only a few inches of that. Now its around 5 degrees F. I will be heading for a state park north of Milwaukee for the weekend. You should see the faces of people when I tell them I will be camping. People around here simply don't know how to embrace winter. They simply know how to shovel it:-(.
Mike

Offline crooked knife

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 11:35:43 am »
As much as I like snow, I wish it'd had held off for a while.  We live in the Penokee high country (about as much mountains as wisconsin gets) just south of Lake Superior, it gets the lake effect like the U.P. in Michigan does.  So we got almost 20 inchs with this last storm.  Great for those who want to ski and snowshoe through the forest.  But we only had a few inches of ice on the lakes and now they're a mess.  The whole lakes are slush and it's going to be awhile before it gets solid.  Luckily Northern Minnesota only got a few inchs with this and it mostly blew off the lakes with the wind so they'll freeze up nice and solid.  So I guess I'll just head up there and camp out for awhile, especially when the going is easy on the lakes once there's a few more inches of ice.  Mostly 4" and less or right now.  But with the wind and below zero weather they'll be plenty thick real quick!  My buddy up there is catchn walleyes every night on some of the smaller lakes through the ice!  Can't wait! 

What's the ice like up in NW Ontario right now?  How thick is the ice? 

Joe E

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:55:17 pm »
What's the ice like up in NW Ontario right now?  How thick is the ice? 
Joe E

Hi Crookedknife,

I have not been out on the ice yet.  I have been trying to monitor the freeze up using the daily MODIS imagery, but its been so darn cloudy for the satellites, its been hard to see much in the images.  However there are glimpses, and with this deep freeze we have been in, they appear to be coming along nicely.   Well along in the north.  I bet the fisherman are out on the ice up north.  Big deep lakes in the southern part however are not fully frozen.   I am hoping the the deep freeze holds with the low snow depths we have, to create a primo ice year.   
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:43:50 am »
Does anyone have any good ice reports from northern MN?  Ice locally seems to be coming along nicely, but the BWCA is where my sights are focused.  Any new information would be great!
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 12:00:17 pm »
I am also trying to get some info on BWCA lakes-I plan to contact a couple outfitters today around Ely to see if they have cut any holes.  I know that the lake I fish on (central mn) had 8.5" last Saturday, it is a pretty shallow, but large lake.  We have only 5" or 6" of snow on the ground/ice.  Looking forward to a good year.