View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Yay! Winter Storm Watch for MN/WI!  (Read 8967 times)

Offline snowshoe2

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Yay! Winter Storm Watch for MN/WI!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 04:22:18 pm »
soleday and lonelake,

Just spoke w/ Smitty's on Snowbank Lake and he said he had about 8-10 inches by his place (which is a very deep lake and is somewhat the last to freeze).  Lake Vermilion has plenty of ice and people already have their permanent houses out.  I would have to say there is 7 plus on the other lakes.   I'm heading out on Monday for a three day into the BWCA and I will give you another report then.

Trevor

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 11:10:49 pm »
snoshoe2, thanks for the update, I will be out soon!  Good luck on your trip, be safe, enjoy!
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 12:11:10 pm »
Those guys on at Smitty's are great folks.  I met them this past spring while hiking the Kek trail.  I called up Moose Track Outfitters and they said that this should be one of the best ice years in recent memory.  Lots of cold nights and little snow.

Have a good trip Trevor, look forward to the trip report.  Are you going in around the Snowbank Lake area?

Offline snowshoe2

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 01:31:50 pm »
Yep!   Heading in a few miles and coming out just before x-mas.  Happy holidays

Trevor