View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Route Suggestion: Northern MB - NE of The Pas?  (Read 4927 times)

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
Route Suggestion: Northern MB - NE of The Pas?
« on: December 16, 2009, 06:24:44 pm »
Hi folks,
I have some questions for the Manitobans on here. What's your snow like in the area NE of The Pas? Got enough to haul a sled yet?

If you were going to take the train northward, where would you get off and start trekking? I'd rather spend more time "out" than on the train, so would just as soon get off closer to The Pas, perhaps in the vicinity of Cormorant, rather than continuing farther on to Gillam (for instance). Any local contacts that I should talk to if I decide to proceed?

CANORA - CORMORANT, Tuesday Dec 29, 2009   Departs: 20:46 on Dec 29  Arrives: 04:06 on Dec 30   Train: 693

CORMORANT - CANORA, Friday Jan 1, 2010 Departs: 21:32 on Jan 1  Arrives: 08:08 on Jan 2   Train: 692

(See my map of the VIA Rail line.) *edited to correct that link*

That ride would cost me under $80. It's somewhat limited by schedule, but might just work for me. Yes, the hours are not perfect but why should I let that stop me?

My wife & kids are maybe heading to Winnipeg after Christmas to visit the brother-in-law. I was thinking I might slip out for some "alone time" while she visits. She could drop me off in Canora, which is on the Via rail line and pick me up there again on her way home again.

Judging by the sat image there's snow at least, though perhaps not much (4cm on the ground at The Pas according to Environment Canada).

At this point I'm not sure what I'll do. I may just head to the Nesbit Forest or somewhere a couple hundred km from here, or I may go along to Winnipeg, or I may not do anything at all.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:42:23 pm by Pawistik »
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline low-1

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Route Suggestion: Northern MB - NE of The Pas?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:28:59 am »
Well if you carry on to Gillam (for instance) there's plenty of snow.   ;)  I know Thompson has quite a bit of snow, maybe a little more than we do here.  I've been skiing and snowshoeing, pulling a sled with my daughter in it, for about a month or more now.  Not sure where you start running into decent snow, but I will be heading down Hwy 6 south tomorrow, so I can check up until Ponton and let you know.  That's maybe halfway between The Pas and Thompson.  As far as where to go, I haven't really spent much time down that way, but there are all kinds of small shield lake everywhere, and lots of cutlines to explore.  Ice cover should be really good, it is up here anyway, but I don't know the local rivers, swamps and lakes down that way.  The last week and a half or more has been around -35 or colder, with not a lot of snow cover.

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 12:27:31 pm »
Sure, if you don't mind giving me an update, I would appreciate it.

Yeah, the good thing about an early cold snap is that it's good for ice formation!

From that satellite photo you can see what seems like a gradient of snow as you get closer to the bay. I wasn't sure though that it was just the difference of appearance as the bush gets thicker as you move farther from the bay, so you see more green trees, less of the snow on the ground.

I still haven't decided what to do, but I want to have my crap together so that I can act on it if I decided to head out rather than spend time with the family.

Cheers,
Bryan

Offline low-1

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:49:34 pm »
From that satellite photo you can see what seems like a gradient of snow as you get closer to the bay. I wasn't sure though that it was just the difference of appearance as the bush gets thicker as you move farther from the bay, so you see more green trees, less of the snow on the ground.

Just curious, where did you get this image from, I would definitely appreciate a link.  Also, do you know when it was taken?  Talking to friends who have been back and forth down 280, there is apparently more snow on the ground closer to Thompson than this end.  Definitely cover thickness will have something to do with it, but there are some pretty good sized trees along the shores on the Nelson, and just judging by looking at Stephens Lake, this image could be a few weeks old.  Not sure though.  In the bush up here there's about 2 ft.  On the lake there was about 4 inches last weekend (and 13 in of good blue ice)

I'll definitely post back what I see along the way.

Offline low-1

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:58:55 pm »
Actually, after a little finessing, I see where you got this from.  Definitely adding a bookmark to that page.  Thanks.

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:03:54 pm »
Low-1,
The image comes from http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/.

From the lower right of that page is the Near-Real Time Subsets:
A large number of near-real-time georectified images across the world are available in our MODIS Rapid Response Subsets page in GIS-compatible format, including most AERONET sunphotometer sites.
Clicking on the link there will take you to this page: http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/ where you can click the map to get the image sets for your area (scroll or click down to the North America set).

The image I pasted came from the Thompson set, MODIS Terra true colour. From there you can scroll through by date, and select a pixel size (from 2km/pixel as shown above, down to 250m/pixel). Some days it's cloudy where you want to see so you may have to scroll backwards in time to find a clear image. It's a lot easier & quicker to scroll through the 1km or 2km images than the 250m images.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bryan

(I see you've found your answer but I'll leave this here for future reference & to make it easier for the next fellow.)

Offline low-1

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 01:58:04 pm »
No doubt, that's a very useful resource.  Now I wonder if I can spot the caribou herds with the 250m resolution... maybe a big bull moose....

Thanks again.

Offline low-1

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 12:10:00 pm »
Well, driving down yesterday we were definitely running into less and less snow as we were heading west from Thompson to Ponton.  Thompson had about as much as we did, probably about a foot and a half in the bush.  It was about that deep until about Paint Lake, then it was starting to get less and less. Waboden/Setting lake probably still had a good foot or so, after that, along side the road anyway, there was enough snow to cover the grasses, but not a good blanket over top.  There were a few inches, maybe 4 or 5 around Ponton, but there didn't seem to be very good coverage, you could see a lot of stumps and some bigger rocks through the snow (again, along the side of the road).  Not sure if there was more going towards The Pas, but I think I would likely want to go to at least Waboden to drag a toboggan through the bush.  I took some pictures out of the window of the truck as my wife was driving, I'll try to get them up later.

Hope that helps.

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:39:01 pm »
Thanks for the report on the conditions Low-1.

I've decided to save this trip idea for another time. I'll be going to Winnipeg for a couple of days of family time instead. In the meantime, I want to continue to find out more information about the area and come up with a more specific route. A fellow I work with is from that neck of the woods and ice fishes out that way so I've been chatting with him for a few ideas.

Before heading to Winnipeg I might head out for a local overnight trip to make sure my set-up is all good.

Cheers,
Bryan