View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Ever see a Mooses Dance by the pale moonlight?  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
Ever see a Mooses Dance by the pale moonlight?
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:28:51 am »
First , take a look at this photo - Taken this year ( 2008) as we snowshoed into Piano Lake
from base camp.

and then try to imagine either a Mother and her Yearling , or Maybe a Mating pair , or just two Drunken Mooses !!  ;D and try to look at the photo of tracks made on the ice then next time we traveled into Piano just the next day from the Lunar Eclipse that happened.

I wonder what they we're thinking, there was urine spots as well in spots.

Ever see such a thing or the the tracks to make you think......I'll have whatever they were Drinking!!??

Cheers

Here's a few more shots I took that came out although not the best of any to see the whole perspective.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:34:20 am by Georgi »
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Ever see a Mooses Dance by the pale moonlight?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:56:18 am »
Hi Georgi,

Ya, you see that all the time with moose.  I fly aerial caribou surveys for woodland caribou occasionally, (and we always see far more moose tracks than caribou), and these moose track meandering patterns out on the ice near shore and on small lakes are quite common. 

Why?  Who knows, eh?   Maybe they take time for deep thought, and wander around thinking so hard solving the problems of the world that they make those meandering patterns without realizing it?  ;D
Maybe their bellies are so full of coarse browse that they have to move around to help it settle.  Ever over-eaten so bad that you can’t sit still or you feel you will explode?  I have, so I can relate to the need to move to shake down that load. 
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
Re: Ever see a Mooses Dance by the pale moonlight?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:43:04 pm »
You might be right Hoop, no telling unless we could spend the night and watch.... We had a perfect view for a tent above the pot hole of a lake to wait, if only we knew when they would come?!

I still say it was a Dance, I think .

The Fat Belly Browse ( Mooses Waltz on Ice )

;D
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi