View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: sherpa bindings  (Read 3716 times)

Offline steambender

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • woodspirit
sherpa bindings
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:41:23 pm »
where can i get some sherpa bindings for back country skiis?

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
Re: sherpa bindings
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 12:49:47 am »
They are now called "Berwin Backcountry Bindings" and are available from the manufacturer, Akers Ski Equipment, on-line at http://www.akers-ski.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=37B8&Category_Code=bcbinding

Good folks, easy to work with, excellent customer support.

Ski safe,
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline Forestwalker

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 02:27:29 am »
How are these as to durability in the cold, and ease of use with mittens? I currently use a Swedish binding of the general same type (Tegsnäs Epok; http://www.tegsnas.se/Images/epoks.jpg), but (a) it has a fairly narrow heal cup, (b) I've had them split in -50 C conditions, and (c) the riveted on straps can pull out (has happened both to me and others). Is the Berwin dependable and suitable gear for long trips? I'm planning on using both the insukarted rubber boots in warm weather and more proper boots (currently drooling over ECW True North, but I also use home made mukluks and tradiutional Sami reindeer fur boots...)?

Offline Miz Moosie

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:38:44 pm »
My first pair of Berwin bindings lasted about 5 years.  There must be something to the phrase "better living through chemistry" because they look like normal plastic which you would expect to get cold and brittle, but these don't.  I'm guessing they failed after a number of years due to solar degradation.  My current pair are holding up fine after about 3 years.
2008 Winter Rendezvous "Golden Spatula Award" Winner (Winning recipe:  filet mignon with wine, shallots, garlic and dijon mustard served over orzo with butterd brussel sprouts and Black Currant Mead)

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:45:52 pm »
These are the exact same bindings that Wil Steger, Paul Schurke and others use on polar expeditions. The newer, blue/grey model is as close to bombproof as you can get. I did have one break last year, but I am sure what I was doing at the time (Picking up my grandson on a sidehill in very deep snow.) was at least a contributing cause.

The is the same Sherpa binding of old that you are looking for. Akers bought out the patent from Sherpa and started making them out of more durable material. There is no other comparable binding on the market.

'shoe safe,
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline steambender

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • woodspirit
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 09:17:10 pm »
thanks for the link trailpatrol!